F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

repair, maintainance, etc. on my F4i

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 08:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default repair, maintainance, etc. on my F4i

So the riding season started a couple months ago for me (maybe three?)
I pulled my F4i out of the shed, rolled it to the driveway, and the first thing I did was hook it up to a charger/jumper and charge up the battery. I assumed I'd have to replace it this year (since I didn't use a tender), but after running about town with it, it was fine, so that item was knocked off the list. This year so far:

Tire pressure - holy crap, lost 12lbs in the rear and 10lbs in the front while stored, readjusted to stock settings (36F 42R) I think I may bring them up a little more, but for now its acceptable (I typically ride with saddle bags and tail bag).

Chain adjust - I felt some driveline slack under acceleration/deceleration, sure enough, just about 2" of slack, readjsted to 1-1/4", short ride, recheck, long ride, recheck all is good. This is the first time I adjusted the chain slack, and I used the Honda tool kit in my tail section to do it. I will be checking it again next weekend, maybe try and be more precise about the amount of slack I have in it, it's at 1-1/4 which is within spec but I may try to hit 1-1/8", to get myself more comfortable with the actual process.

Remainder of the list - Oil change, Air filter, front fender, manual CCTL, right side fairing & custom paint and of course Corbin seat; I had planned to do the oil change this weekend, but I had to order oil filters as no place had them in stock. The front fender is on its way fron Texas (Thank you pocfoo), and i have yet to order the air filter and Ape CCTL. The brakes look good, I don't think I'll need to replace them until next season. Tires will probably need replacing next season as well, my rear appears to be developing a flat spot since I do a lot of highway, the front is still good though, but I will most likely do both since I want to try a different tire out anyways. rear sprocket & chain look good, so those are off the list as well. I lost the front fender last year going over a crappy set of railroad tracks, it tore away from the mounting points, but it was a cheap chinese fender, The previous owner had put it on after a crash. The right side fairing is cracked, so I eventually want to replace it. I figured after a couple seasons of riding, I would put a little money into cosmetics now that I'm less likely to drop/crash etc. and destroy my pretty new plastic. I really like the bike and actually think I'll hold onto it for several years to come.

I know it's mostly maintenance stuff, but it feels good to do the work myself, and the bike feels better after having done it. The manual for the bike is amazingly informative, I wish the one for my car was this good, as I do that work myself too. Of course for the CCTL repalcement I'll be using this forums how to section as it is very informative.

anybody out there running Pirelli Diablo's? what pressure are you running? I think I may bring it up a couple pounds in the rear, as with the saddle bags on the rear feels a bit too soft.

how long do you find the sprockets and chain will last? mine are still good but only have 16,xxx on them.

Thanks, and as always, keep the shiny side up!

Old 06-06-2011, 04:35 PM

Sounds like you know what you're doing. :0)

As for the chains and sprockets, depending on the manufacturer, you're looking at 20k-25k. I would, however, replace them if you have any doubts about your existing ones.

Sprocket Center -

Old 06-06-2011, 05:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chain and sprocket life depends totally on whether you keep it cleaned and lubed, and how frequently you launch from a standstill.

When checking chain slack, you need to check at various points since it won't be the same. And ideally, it should be checked with a rider on board, so you'll need to recruit a friend to get an accurate reading.

And if you're looking for easy but worthwhile things to do, when was the last time the brake fluid was changed?

Old 06-06-2011, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Munson
Chain and sprocket life depends totally on whether you keep it cleaned and lubed, and how frequently you launch from a standstill.
Ah. Indeed. I'm a grandpa-rider so 20k-25k is about right for me. Your riding style would dictate the variance from my number. Not too drastically, though, I'd imagine.

Also, check the coolant.

Old 06-14-2011, 06:11 AM

Did the oil change Sunday at 16,445mi. so now the bike is happy, the old oil didnt look that bad, and I'm not suprised, this bike lives a pretty easy life as a sport tourer. I gave it a quick wash, but it needs a serious going over with a toothbrush to clean all the little nooks and crannies... one of these weekends when I have some "free time" I'll get on that, but for now i've gotten the majority of it cleaned off/out. Until next weekend, thanks for watching.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:39 AM

PICS PICS PICS haha