F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Regina ZRP 525 Chain Riveting

Old 08-02-2011, 08:13 AM
Red face Regina ZRP 525 Chain Riveting

Hi Guys,
I have been trying to install a new Regina 525 ZRP chain on my F4i. I am not sure how to rivet Master link on this chain. See the bottom picture on this link here:
REGINA CHAIN - The chain transmission

I have got a Motion Pro Chain Breaker/Press/Riveting Tool combo. This tool rivets "Hollow Nosed" Master Link pins. See the link here for this tool:
http://www.motionpro.com/documents/pdf/I08-0467.pdf

Any ideas? Do I need to buy a different tool to rivet this chain? Also what do you use for spacers?

Please help ASAP! :-)

P.S. To get by in the mean time I have installed "Press Fit Link" type (see the second image from the last on first link). But this is not recommended on bikes greater than 400cc.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:02 AM
Old 08-02-2011, 12:11 PM

backyardmechanic,
Regina Master Chain Link is different then what you used which has hollow ends for easier riveting. Reginas are solid, that's why I posted this thread.
Thanks anyway for posting your video link.

It appears that Regina requires a special tool or you can "improvise" by using a ball peen hammer and solid plate on the back.

I talked to Honda dealer today too. Sounds like for solo commuting, which is what I do over 90% of the time, connector will work (vs. riveting).

I hear horror stories about using connectors and I hear success ones. I will take my chances and be more diligent on checking the chain as I lube chain every 500 miles like I always do

I regret buying this chain now. I live & learn....

Last edited by ben_cbr; 08-02-2011 at 12:20 PM.
Old 08-02-2011, 12:39 PM

If you can't flare the pins on the Regina masterlink, then go buy a new rivet type masterlink for $5 (same size of course) & be done w/ it.

Old 08-02-2011, 01:46 PM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent

That was the sole reason I didn't go with Regina when I changed my chain was that damn solid pin. I'd call around and see if any local shops can rivet those type of links, otherwise you may just have to swap it with another brand as suggested by gotcbr.

Italian products are very similar to German ones in that they're beautifully crafted and of top quality, but the downsides are that they tend to be expensive and complicated.

Old 08-02-2011, 04:42 PM

you don't have a rivet style master link. you have a clip type.

so you just press on the master link and then slide that clip on the ends with the open end facing the rear

Old 08-04-2011, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by tyfrist View Post
you don't have a rivet style master link. you have a clip type.

so you just press on the master link and then slide that clip on the ends with the open end facing the rear
Chain came with both. Yup, as I mentioned above I went with clip on connector.

Old 08-04-2011, 11:28 AM

Thanks GotCBR and Incognito for the good advice. I'll try the connector clip for a while, after that I might just put in same size, different brand masterlink which I can rivet.

Old 11-22-2011, 11:46 AM
Default End of riding season follow up:

I thought I'd report back on this with my experience with the slip on clip connector alternative. I think I have put about 6-7K with this setup this year so far. All is well. But also keep in mind I am a highway commuter only. I get in to 10-12K RPMs very rarely. And I ride solo. So there. My invaluable feedback for those with Regina and clip on connector :-)
Peace

-Ben-

Old 11-22-2011, 05:34 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2

Personally, I go for the riveted master links. It's rare, true, but it DOES happen. The
clip pops off, and the link falls apart. If you're LUCKY, it pops just before the end
of the chain hits the front sprocket (so it doesn't pile-up in the transmission). Of
course, then it piles up in the rear sprocket and locks the rear-end up.

As GotCBR said, all you need is a standard-type master-link, not replace the whole
chain. A couple of bucks and you already have the tool, so use it. It's worth the effort
for the extra margin, in my opinion.

Hope this helps, Ern