F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

rapid heat increase

Old 09-13-2013, 11:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rapid heat increase

Hey Guys,

Looking for some insight on my problem. I got a 06 cbr600f4i that's been increasing in heat faster then normal. It has 15K KMs on it

I had replaced the coolant last year since it was not change since the factory. From there, it ran great. However over the last 3 months, I did notice that the bike would heat up faster then normal and also would reach a higher temp at a stop light with the fan on. Bike had no problem maintaining a temp of 100-107* C [(105*c/221*f), fans kicks on, 100*c/202*f fans kicks off] regardless of outside temp (23-30*C)

But just yesterday, the temps went up to 115*c/239*f with the fan on constantly. It would cool down when I started moving, but at the next light, it would climb back up. I understand it's not overheating yet, but concerned about the sudden deviation from normal. I had NEVER seen temps beyond 107*c before the last few months.

Things I have checked, fluid level both in the reservoir and rad; Normal. Sprayed my rad with air to make sure there was nothing clogging up the fins.

The only thing I can think of now would be the mechanics of the cooling system since this seems so sudden. Which I believe are just the thermostat and water pump. My suspicion is on the thermostat not opening all the way anymore. I'll check this next. I'm curious how a water pump on a bike fail? Usually with automotive water pumps, they just tend to leak due to seals. However, on a bike, can they fail in other ways? are the fins plastic? can they slip on the shaft?

I'm just trying to determine of there are any other possibilities to consider. I understand the workings of automotive engines, but this is my first bike so I want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

Thanks everyone!

Old 09-13-2013, 11:24 AM

where do you live? its been hotter where im at, its summer, so that explains my temperature increase and the fan running more.
try taking it out in the morning, and then at 1 or 2pm to see if the heat levels act the same. otherwise you could have accumulated air.
the road holds a lot of heat too

Old 09-13-2013, 12:18 PM

I'm located in Vancouver, BC. I know it's has been hotter the last few days there, but I'v been in hotter weather before without the high heat symptoms.

Usually when I ride in the morning to work on the highway, I'm was able to maintain 80-85*. Today it was riding between 95-100*.

You mention accumulated air. Ill go look up some info on burping the system.

Thanks,

Old 09-13-2013, 02:23 PM
Track junkie & modaholic

First I would recommend replacing your coolant once a year, second it *might* be something is clogging the radiator up. You can go out and buy one of those two gallon jugs of distilled water and flush that through the coolant system then put fresh coolant in. What type of coolant are you using?

Old 09-13-2013, 05:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could try removing your radiator and actually spraying it down from the back side with a degreaser like simple green and rinsing with gentle pressure it from the fan side. Do this a few times to remove the road grime. Adding things like wetter water, or engine ice and replacing your thermostat as a precaution while you have it apart.

I have had two pumps fail on f4is they did it the same way at about 25k miles 2001 models, leaking when very cold outside (only a drip or two out of the weep hole on the bottom while warming up). But they can fail in a manner where the impeller spins on the shaft (only some of the time) or the bearings supporting the shaft fail causing further issues.

Guess one, grime in the radiator.
Thermostat only partially opening or weak would be the second guess.
Guess three, number of things from water pump to hoses collapsing within themselves.

I suggest usually to check temps with a temperature gun (infrared thermometer) when possible. At operating temperature the temp gun will quickly show you hot and cold spots in a radiator, confirm temps, flow, etc. and take guess work out of things eliminating throwing parts at it.

Old 09-19-2013, 04:20 PM

I have sourced a thermostat and gasket and will look into replacing it soon. However, I may have found the issue. Upon closer inspection, after shutting down the bike, I took a close look at everything. I then noticed on the backside of the radiator (fan side) and at the top, the radiator look a little wet. So now I'm thinking my radiator may have sprung a leak.

well, I guess I'll be taking everything apart and giving it a once over.

Why does motorcycle part cost soooo much! $67 for a thermostat... close to $400 for a radiator?! *sigh*

Old 09-19-2013, 06:52 PM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Because they don't make very many. If honda made 400,000 of them a year like an accord then it would cost alot less for parts. As you said, le sigh.