Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Cigarette Tax increase.

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 09:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cigarette Tax increase.

So for us smokers who really want to quit but are having a hard time, I find this to be good news.
http://tobaccofreekids.org/reports/prices/

Old 02-23-2009, 11:26 AM

I hate how they try to force folks to quit and also try to fund new programs by raising taxes on ciggs. Total BS in my book, if everyone actually did quit the government would be out so much money they'd have to raise income taxes again to make up for it, and they are doing that anyway! I actually have been trying to quit myself though, only had 3 in the past week & 1/2, but don't want to be told that I have to quit, its my choice and none of they're business

Old 02-23-2009, 02:16 PM

I actually have been trying to quit myself though, only had 3 in the past week & 1/2, but don't want to be told that I have to quit, its my choice and none of they're business
3 in a week in a half is very good dude... keep it up. I have recently been trying to quit and your 3 in a week and a half put me to shame. They arent telling you to quit.. They are giving you a choice. If they did not give you a choice than it would not be possible to buy cigarettes legally

Last edited by cbrsix; 02-23-2009 at 02:22 PM.
Old 02-23-2009, 02:23 PM

I know, but sometimes it's promoted as if they increase the taxes it will cause some people to quit, which is true but in my mind not right. But I'm working on it, mainly crave them here at work so I can take a break and go outside for a few, now the boss thinks I'll be more productive since I'm not taking so many breaks! ha!

Old 02-23-2009, 02:31 PM

Lol I hope I can quit.. I dont know if its winter or what but they just havent been tasting too good to me. We just got the firesafe cigs here in PA and I hate how they burn.. I am trying to find reasons to quit because I am having a hard time

Old 02-23-2009, 03:07 PM

what are firesafe cigs?

Old 02-23-2009, 03:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Increasing the amount of tax does nothing but give the government more revenue.
We have the same type of organisations that are against smoking, but their self perpetuating. It becomes their livelihood (via government funding) to maintain the 'horror' of ciggies. Cigs get blamed for every illness known to man & most of it based on very suspect statistics & data. No I'm not saying smoking isn't bad for you.
We now have bans on smoking in public places,(like pubs cafes & so on) the same (paid by government funding) organisation is now trying to get the government to introduce laws that prevent you from smoking in your own car !??? Anyway, I remembered this bit from a Pen & Teller BS program.
http://www.sho.com/site/video/bright...lid=1316298223

Old 02-23-2009, 03:37 PM

what are firesafe cigs?
They have something in them that make them burn out if you do not hit them for so long.. Instead of the cigarette continuing to burn to the filter the cigarette will stop burning and put its self out..... but they burn like **** and they will almost completely go out if you dont pay the cig alot of attention... If you look on the barcode of cigarettes that are firesafe you will see FSC next to the barcode meaning fire safe cigarette

Old 02-23-2009, 07:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cbrsix
They have something in them that make them burn out if you do not hit them for so long.. Instead of the cigarette continuing to burn to the filter the cigarette will stop burning and put its self out..... but they burn like **** and they will almost completely go out if you dont pay the cig alot of attention... If you look on the barcode of cigarettes that are firesafe you will see FSC next to the barcode meaning fire safe cigarette

When I used to smoke Rollies (roll your own tobacco) the buggers would always go out if you didn't take a drag for say 30 seconds. So I always assumed that standard ciggies had something in the paper that made them continue to burn (good for the tobacco companies).

Old 02-23-2009, 08:04 PM

What my friends and I don't like, is the tax on cigars as well. I don't smoke them too often, but when I do, I'm not a big fan of Uncle Sam taking a bite out of my ***. The new cigar tax is something outrageous, and my friends are going to take a hyades from buying them until they run through all the boxes that they already have.

Quick Reply: Cigarette Tax increase.