F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

The Project Begins

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 02:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

at the time i had pulled the rings to do a quick spec check on the cylinder. i think the primary issue was bearing failure, the rod and crank could be used..
i would be ripping it back open in the next 5,000 to 10,000 miles.. i am going to order up a (like) new crank and (like) new piston set. even thought a new block... or even maybe another engine.. when it comes to failure anybodies guess is as good as mine. i am weighing all the cost

so every thing is going to be spec.... i have had the consideration of putting a piston kit in it ... but it seems to much of a waist in funds for something that is already ***** to the wall fast. i am going to be focusing on the looks and make this bike stand out.

but anyway as it goes for progress tonight i went ahead and went through all the parts from the take down ... set everything up in it's own tool box labeled all the nuts and bolts sealed in bags. oiled the timing chain and gears for storage.

then started on prep with frame getting it ready for polish. the rear on the bike is coated black and i will be taking it down to the aluminum and polishing it to a chrome like polish.. that is going to take FOREVER !!! but i have this killer idea on the polish it will be a cool end game surprise for the thread..

Old 12-09-2012, 08:12 PM

well had a pretty intense day had to meet up with the fiance's/wife's dad about my upcoming wedding... so had more important things to handle.... but out of luck her mom came over and i got my chance to work on the ride.

so i found a crack in the gas tank to the prior stunt dent and i am going to get rid of my welder.. so i decided to try to get it welded up before i sold it... needless to say the welder failed made things worse.. cheap sheet metal so i went ahead grabbed the bronze rods and torch got it patched up then i will seal coat it with some JB weld for security before i perform the body work on the tank to smooth it over.

then i was able to sneak in a little time after building a ginger bread train with my son... pulled the wheels, brake calipers ,clip-ons , and sub frame for the seat.. getting ready to clean the frame up while i wait on engine parts.

was able to get my compressor picked up today so i will speeding things up a little .... being able to use my tools from the days of working in a body shop....

Old 12-10-2012, 08:44 PM

Ripped it down to final pieces and split the case of the engine..
come to find out that as my hopes and as suspected the bearing for everything except the one piston are in amazing shape...

so i will be replacing the crank and pistons rings and bearing.....

Old 12-11-2012, 01:46 AM

ok to add to the previous post i removed the forks the swing arm i officially have the bike down to pieces....

i will be ordering up my crank and pistons this week if all goes according to plan. in the mean time i am going to be sitting down to design my color scheme and determine the airbrush stencils i will be using....

what ever i do choose as much as i want to go crazy with the graffix i am going to keep it simple.. i have really noticed less is more on the f4i when it comes to design.. in my opinion.... i have more than enough to keep me busy through the winter..i wont be painting till spring. i will be ordering up new sprockets and chain
will have a few parts that will be getting paint during assembly.....

the excitement is insane cause all the solutions to my problem are figured out.. now it's just focus that i need......

as you can tell anyone that reads this i am a picky S.O.B

Old 12-11-2012, 03:42 PM

Loving all the pictures and updates man, glad its going pretty well for ya so far. Im still searching for front forks, front wheel and tire, and left side rear set.

Old 12-15-2012, 01:22 AM

ok after searching and hunting around i ordered up a set of used pistons... i should be getting them before christmas... after a little closer check up on the crank i think it might be a good idea to see if the crank can be cleaned cause it's not scratched... it has high temp material deposits... so i will be getting it looked at friday after christmas .... if it can't i will order up a replacement. i will be a step closer.... and i am currently ahead of schedule...

purchased my heat shrink , electrical contact cleaner, bearing lube for frame reassemble , brake parts cleaner, buffing material ,sand paper,thread locker...

so i will have plenty to do while i wait on the parts to complete the motor...

still waiting to clean the engine case till i have all the parts .. dont want the engine getting dirt in it while i wait on parts...clean it up before/after/during build...

off to prep the frame more.. again thank you for reading everyone

Old 12-15-2012, 03:37 AM

ok well put some time in on the frame and cleared all the coating off the main frame and cleaned up ... so to test the waters i decided to clean buff and polish a area... just curious on how much more work i had ahead of me....

come to find out i have alot more to do.....

heres a wheels off tested removal on the swing arm....
prep'd one side of the frame....

removed all outer frame coating ... sanded at 800 grit so far only on this side
can see where i tested to see progress with compound and polish...

as you can see i have a lot more to do...time to bust out the wet sand and get the grit line out.

Old 12-15-2012, 11:09 AM

nice use of some old speakers lol. i take it you arent painting the frame black again? i just cant see my 01 with a shiny aluminum frame.

Old 12-15-2012, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by RudyGT
nice use of some old speakers lol. i take it you arent painting the frame black again? i just cant see my 01 with a shiny aluminum frame.
to each there own...lol good thing is no matter what when i am done if i don't like it i will get it powder coated LOL

Old 12-15-2012, 12:07 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There's a whole lot of work in frame polishing but the outcome, if done patiently & properly, is pretty nice.

Quick Reply: The Project Begins