F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Power Commander troubles :(

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 09:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Commander troubles :(

So I got my power commander a few weeks ago and my exhaust finally arrived. I put on my power commander and exhuast about 4 days ago. It was simple and had a lot of positive changes to the bikes performance and reaction. It ran perfect for the first 3 days, but now I am having problems. I bought it from another guy on here, but I don't have a manual for it, and I don't know if the orginal one comes with one.

Anyway, I have a D&D slip on and my luck being how it is, there was no D&D map on the CD. I loaded the Erion map with the stock air filter. Worked fine until today. I went out to ride a few hours through the mountains to my parents cabin. As I am leaving town I notice the RPMs wern't holding steady, they were boucing up and down and you could hear it in the exhuast noise. I can feel the bike starting to bog down, then poof it just dies as I go to pull away from the light. Its running rich in the lower RPMs, thats what I figure is wrong. It pulls like a beast when I get it to around 7K, a noticeably harder pull than stock. How do I run it leaner at the lower RPMs? I checked an online PC "manual", but it wasn't much help. Can you adjust the lower RPMs separate from the mid and high? I also honestly don't know what the 3 buttons on the unit itself do other than reset the map or something I read. I should have spent more time setting it up I think, I was in a hurry to go play with it and I think it bit me in the butt. I plan on having it dyno mapped here shortly, but I could use some help with it right now and I know probably half of you run a PC in your bike.

Thanks,
Eric

Old 05-25-2008, 10:03 PM
Default RE: Power Commander troubles :(

probably better to just have it dyno tuned before you go making random adjustments...dont wanna mess your bike up, you should probably just disconnect the pc for now until you can get in for a tune, as the stock map will work ok with a slip on, pc isnt necessarily needed

Old 05-25-2008, 10:53 PM

Well, you should probably start by reading the manual:

http://www.dynojet.co.uk/powercommander/manual.htm

I can't really offer you much advice cause I don't have one, but I can tell you that my Akrapovic slip-on seems to work just fine without one! You hear of lots of people having problems like you're having with it, and that it's not really necessary. Yet others swear by them. The truth, who knows. But my advice to you is try the pipe without the PC so you can see how it feels, and then compare it with the PC installed.

Old 05-26-2008, 02:54 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First make sure you have the correct map for your exhaust loaded into it (you can get the correct map from the Power Commander website). Aside from doing that, unless you are familiar with what you are doing, I suggest you have a pro tune the bike for you. My bike was bogging down quite a bit so I took it to my mechanic. He found that the previous owner had the wrong map installed for the exhaust I have on it. Once he installed the correct map (along with some custom tuning) my bikes issues were resolved and it now runs like a champ.

Old 05-26-2008, 04:45 AM

go to a dyno or load other map: designed for stock bike or the one used for the similar to yours exhaust but other one. the maps may not be alright as they are still designed for the bike , which was dyno-tuned. and they are all different, but really the difference is not for each exhaust brand, but really more for the preference of the tuner and the bike itself.

Old 05-26-2008, 10:52 AM

ya if youve never tuned anything dont attempt youll do more damage than good. just contact pc and theyll help you out and get you the right map. save couple hundred buck and your bike will run its best

Old 05-26-2008, 04:55 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys, I sent an email to the local stealership, I'll see what they say. I asked them what services I was due for and if they work with power commanders/can they draw a custom map. I can't wait to hear how much they want to charge me. Any other places I should check other than a honda dealership as far as servicing a performance bike?

P.S. Valve timing adjustment at 18K miles?

-Eric

Old 05-26-2008, 08:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you connect it to the computer and install their software you can put in your own map. It's just numbers like +2 -1 etc, for every few rpm increments. Playing around could be fun, but doing it blindly doesn't make sense to me and could cause unnecessary lean/rich running of your engine which can foul up stuff. That's why you dyno it... but dyno time is so expensive