F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Please Help!! CCT install!

Old 04-27-2009, 01:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please Help!! CCT install!

Hey guys, I have a 2001 CBR 600 F4i... I was going to install my new APE Manual CCT. Well, I may very well have made the dumb a$$ move of the day today. While attempting to remove the stock CCT, i didnt have a 5 mm allen head socket, and tried to get the two allen bolts off with a 3/16 allen head socket... got the top bolt out, but stripped the bottom one. For those of you who have done this install, you know how tight that space is for the bottom bolt. Does anybody have any suggestions for how to get the bolt out in such a tight space?

Also anybody know where i can order just the gasket for the APE cct? i didnt know you had to order that too... ugh. would a honda dealer carry that? Also, has anyone had this installed by a Honda Dealer? what kind of price tag was it?

Thanks a bunch!

Old 04-27-2009, 02:32 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One guy on here paid 190 bucks to have it done. Yes you can get the gasket, from the stealership or from APEs website. For the allen wrench, what I did was cut the short side of the wrench off then took the long (straight) piece and a 5mm socket worked great. I have a set of allens with the 3/8 socket drive but I coudn't get it on there right cause the stock CCT was too fat, so I improvised. Get the cut allen lined up with the bolt and tap it in all the way, I found the ratchet handle worked pretty good, then put the socket (and ratchet) on the allen, and turn.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:56 AM

I just did mine this weekend nd am trying to get some quality pics up asap.

But I found you MUST remove the clutch cable from the caseing. its only one 8mm bolt it takes 2 seconds and saves you a ton of pain. just the let cable dangle there and use the opening to get your swivel head in there to the bottom cct bolt The small hole in the frame was worthless to me as i didnt use it at all because it's too small to get a swivel socket through.

pics soon i promise.

Old 04-27-2009, 09:02 AM

Take off your throttle body, you will have so much more room to work with. If it's stripped, you might be able to use an easy out on it or get a vise grip on the outside.

Old 04-27-2009, 09:55 PM

I have to disagree with both the last two posts. You do not HAVE to undo the clutch cable. And there is NO way to get any vise grips in there, or an easy out, or drill which you need in order to use an easy out. If you really need more room you can take off the radiator overflow and go in from there.

Old 04-28-2009, 12:22 PM

Taking off the clutch cable just gave me that extra inch of space to get a ratchet in the from under the frame. It helped alot to get to that bottom bolt.

Alot of people say to remove the throttle bodies, which would be the best option as far as extra space goes but i didn't want to get into all of that so i could start the bike up and tune/adjust the CCT during the install. So removing the TBs isnt neccessary.

the right tools are vital though, 5mm allen key on a swivel socket, and to adjust the cct i used a slim self ratching wrench, like this one.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...sName=Wrenches

do whatever works for you. I had mine installed in 30 mins and all i had to remove was my 4 tank bolts to raise the tank and the clutch cable bolt for that extra inch opening. easy mod and my bike purrrss! runs like new!

Last edited by Sick97SS; 04-28-2009 at 12:26 PM.
Old 04-29-2009, 12:53 PM

I did this a year ago and had a hell of a time. I ended up cutting the head off the allen wrench like skooby and running that on a couple extenders and socket knuckles. Make sure you put some gasket sealer on the gasket as well because I didn't the first time and it leaked.

I also removed the clutch cable to get to the bottom bolt, worked pretty well after a while.