F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board
View Poll Results: New motor or Repair Please comment too why, money matters, but long term value is Key
New Motor It's the better option.
100.00%
Do the repair, it's cheaper and will still be solid as a rock.
0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Opinion - Bearings or new motor

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 09:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinion - Bearings or new motor

So it seems I spun a bearing on the crank/rod. So since I had metal and crap all around, though not a ton in the pan. I'm assuming crank is trashed, rod is crap, and I'd need to do indexing and stuff to repair etc.. as well as new oil pumps and a big cleaning.

Would you, for 800-1000 buy a new motor that has some great compression (193-195 each cylinder cold) or Replace the parts and repair and why.

I read both, I saw some had failings about a year later. I daily drive this bike. I was hoping to reach 100k then 200k on it... Sad it happened at 23k.. fing labron james came back thats the problem... lol...

Money matters, but a solid repair is more important.

Old 07-17-2014, 02:06 PM

Two for replacement but no reasons? Anyone chime in or is it because the crank repairs just don't last?

Old 07-17-2014, 03:02 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

2 Questions:

The issue is a half-*** rebuild. That'll just waste your time if you only replace the bearings. You need to know what your bores look like. The crank could be bent. What does the top end look like? What caused the spun bearing? Did you get blockage in an oil galley leading to the the cylinder (which one by the way is spun)? Was it because of rpms, lack of oil, etc?

If you're asking me "I think I spun a bearing, should I just replace the bearings and hope for the best?" The answer is no, just replace the engine with a used one that you know runs. But if you're saying "Hey, should I rebuild my engine with new bearings, re-plate/hone/hatch, new rings, sending the crank off to be checked/straightened, possibly new pistons if they're too chewed up, etc?" - If you know what you're doing so you can go through everything - YES. It won't cost less, but you get a brand new engine out of it.

Either way, you're going to have to pull the engine. So you may want to go ahead and do that, pull off the pan and have a look-see. What do your bores look like? Is there a lot of scoring? How bad is the oil, how much shrapnel from the bearings is in the oil pan?

Old 07-17-2014, 03:13 PM
      Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
      Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

^^That.

Old 07-17-2014, 03:50 PM

I figured. New engine then. I don't half *** anything. I priced crank rods etc... Figured I'd need a oil pump and whatever... That price was nearly the same as this motor. So between time and value I think that said it. In other news. It wasn't realllly bad for more than 7-8 miles. But I noticed minor strange stuff a month before I mistook for potential clutch slips. The power loss in lower revs and mid. While I'm mostly sure it isn't the worst ever. I know there is a lot to make it new again. So thank you. Newish motor with new replaceables. And break down of old motor for parts for future or sale.