CBR 929RR 2000 - 2001 CBR 929RR Forum

Opinion?...new motor or part out?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 11:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinion?...new motor or part out?

Hello,

I just purchased a 01' 929 from a bank repo, with clear title...the bike was cheap enough for me to buy sight-unseen as a toy. I am an old school rider and hot-rodder...meaning 20 years riding and owned many old school bikes (Ducati, Suzuki, Kawasaki, Honda) but have never purchased a model newer than 98'...therefore, the design parameters and the new fabrication methods, I have been reading on this site, for the last several days are impressing to say the least for this bike. I am a structural and forensic engineer by degree, so working on the bike would be fun, "BUT" how far I am willing to go, brings me to my question???? The bike fired up, but the motor is gone (rod)....but the rest of the bike is very solid. I have torn the bike down to the point to drop the motor and am now at a cross road?....buy a good used motor????...and enjoy what seems to be a great overall bike.....or not waste my time and part out not really knowing the market for the parts for this type of bike. So I am respectfully asking the members opinions as I am on the 50/50 split here for a winter project or part out. Thank you for your time!

Old 12-31-2007, 12:21 AM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy
Default RE: Opinion?...new motor or part out?

there is a huge market for 929 parts. people are always looking for quality parts because the sad fact is most people who get these bikes destroy them . so we search all over for parts. i myself just bought a 01 clean title 929 that needed work and am in need of parts and have been lucky to find the parts i needed after only 2 weeks of looking. so basically i say keep the bike and drop in a good motor and enjoy it. it is honestly thebest bike i have ever owned ( owned another 929 previously and thats why i bought another one)

Old 12-31-2007, 11:12 AM

if you feel that you are mechanically inclined enough to drop the motor out of a new bike, one that you yourself said are not knowledgeable about, get a new one in there and trouble shoot problems that will arise later, then i would say yeah, go for it.

but if not, it could turn out to be one of those situations where the project just sits and ends up getting sold next off season anyways.

either way, they are great bikes, and depending on how much you have into it i would opt to try the swap. GL, take pictures of the process if you do end up fixing her!

i can say this, if you get it done, you WILL NOT be disappointed. (until you ride a 954 )

Old 12-31-2007, 06:42 PM
RCR

Its a keeper in my book. I love my 929RR and I if i ever blew my motor i would find a donor for sure.

Old 12-31-2007, 06:48 PM

i was in a accident with mine a few months ago with my 929. i bought it for 5k and it cose 3500 to fix. insurance took care of it. i simply love the 929's. easy to fix, find parts, ride, all that. i would never get rid of mine. i say keep it and find a motor for it.