F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Oil Change Info

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 10:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah but for these people that do not know what the hell they are doing and have to ask advise on how to wipe their asre why not just go oem and know that it is going to be fine, instead of doing something wrong and messing up their engine. and they will still be able to ride

Old 03-09-2010, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by teko1020
You will be fine. When you are getting conflicting reports in a forum it's time to do alittle of your own research... http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/FilterXRef.html Scroll down to #5. The blue filters are recommended filters that the F4i uses.

Do note this bullet in that section: "Purolator ML16817. Imported, not made by Purolator."
I did note that bullet, and that article which seemed like the guy knew what he was talkinga bout, but a major confliction to me is the manufacturer itself stated a PL filter should not be used on a motorcycle. It's only 10 bucks for the ML filter so I'll do some more research to figure out if I want to swap filters. Is it possible to remove the filter w/o draining or would oil poor out of the filter location? I have half a quart of the 4T left.

Old 03-09-2010, 10:21 AM

The manufacturer doesnt even make the filter............................................ .................................................. .......................................... I'm trying to save you money. But if you are really this dumb then go ahead and change your filter and spend more money on oil. You have a top of the line filter on there already and are going to spend $4 more, per filter, for a filter purolater doesnt even make.

Last edited by teko1020; 03-09-2010 at 10:26 AM.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:25 AM

yeah man you can take off the filter without draining the oil. you might get a little leakage out of it because the filter should have oil in it, but you can take tin foil and wrap it around your headers and put a rag under your bike and you should be fine, i change my oil without taking off any of the fairings everytime.

Good Luck

Old 03-09-2010, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by ars1986
yeah man you can take off the filter without draining the oil. you might get a little leakage out of it because the filter should have oil in it, Good Luck
Thank you ars, that's exactly what I needed to know. The tin foil trick worked well when I did the oil change. I'll look into the opinions etc. more and make my own judgement on whether or not I should change the filter.

Teko, insulting me after I had already said I will be researching this matter further before making a decision makes me hesitant to take your advice. I have not forgotten that the filter is imported and not made by purolator, but purolator does state against using its own filter, there must be a reason. So I prefer to look into other's experiences since there are so many conflicts. I expect I'll find other user's who have used this PL filter as you suggest and swear by it, in which case I'll leave it on.

Thanks for the help and opinions guys.

Old 03-09-2010, 10:56 AM

Ofcourse there is a reason. For every one of their perfectly fine top of the line PL filters that they sell they only get $6. But for every ML filter that they sell they get $10. The guy who wrote that article, who you question, has a heavy background in engineering and has received his info on certain filters by someone who has dissected filters for research for Honda Motorcycles.

Last edited by teko1020; 03-09-2010 at 11:02 AM.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:05 AM

Ofcourse there is a reason. For every one of their perfectly fine top of the line PL filters that they sell they only get $6. But for every ML filter that they sell they get $10. The guy who wrote that article, who you question, has a heavy background in engineering and has received his info on certain filters by someone who has dissected filters for research for Honda Motorcycles.
I wish the article covered that, but you put it pretty damn well so thanks.

Old 03-09-2010, 11:20 AM

hope you get it all figured out, good luck.

Old 03-09-2010, 01:02 PM

The manufacturer doesnt even make the filter............................................ .................................................. .......................................... I'm trying to save you money. But if you are really this dumb then go ahead and change your filter and spend more money on oil. You have a top of the line filter on there already and are going to spend $4 more, per filter, for a filter purolater doesnt even make.
The manufacturer doesn't even make the filter? Oh...that's quite an assertion bud. So you wanna tell me why a company that was founded back in 1923 making and distributing filters would outsource their bread and butter business to the Chinese?

Where are you getting your info? Is this just word on the street or is there a press release or just SOMETHING that says a company other than Purolator is making their filters.

Old 03-09-2010, 05:28 PM

I believe he is getting this info from the link in the first post on the second page of this thread:

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/FilterXRef.html

After rereading the article and seeing the author's notes on the PureOne PL14610, this will be my filter of choice (which is what I just installed).

For those looking for the Mobil1 4T motorcycle oil, they are $10 a quart at AutoZone and the local AZ had plenty in stock.

Last edited by JaBr1884; 03-09-2010 at 05:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Oil Change Info