F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Oil Change Info

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 04:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by skoobydoobie
For the rest of ya, there's nothing wrong with using an auto filter on your motorcycle. These things are designed to do one thing...filter oil (hence there name) It doesn't matter what they go on, cars motorcycles, tractors, big rigs, hydraulic machinery, whatever uses oil and needs it filtered, they all do the same thing...its just a matter of how efficient and for how long they are efficient, and the materials they're made from that seperate the good from the bad from the ugly.

Kinda goes hand in hand with the fact that oil is oil. Dropping $70ish every oil change because you are buying a bottle that says "motorcycle" on it when you could get the same crap from walmart for less than $20

Old 03-08-2010, 04:29 PM

Thanks for all the help guys, Definitely cleared some things up for me! (P.s. thanks for that lock skooby got the tumblers fixed and works like a dream!)

Last edited by K7inne09; 03-08-2010 at 04:33 PM.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by skoobydoobie
First off I probably am the smartest person in the room, any room, any time. Thanks for the info about the prefix (like it really matters), but I didn't check the site myself (for the F4i) I went off what K7 posted. And since you know so much, why don't you buy both filters, disassemble them and let us know what you find. And finally, you're pretty tough when you're hiding behind a computer monitor, come to Detroit and run your mouth in person, then we'll see who needs help crossing the street.
the bad from the ugly.
So ya think you're the smartest person in the room, eh? Lol...ok buddy.

And filters are filters, eh? Same like uhm...let's see....a car is a car or tires are tires, right? Nice...so pretty much with reasoning like that uhm... a Kia, is prolly gonna handle and actually drive just like a Mercedes? After all...they are designed to pretty much well....drive?

And I just dropped a pretty good penny on motorcycle tires...so uhm...if I follow your reasoning correctly, again filters are filters and tires are tires...so why go for expensive tires and not stick with the cheapest one I can find on Google in my size? I mean...tires are designed to simply....roll? Just like how oil filters are designed simply to filter...

Wait...maybe there is some difference! I dunno, maybe...just maybe these things may just be designed to meet our needs as appropriate and maybe sticking a car filter in a motorcycle fits your needs...then good for you bud!

Skoobydoobie...you...(luv ur name by the way)...must be an idiot.

Can i share sumtin' with ya....don't tell ppl, ya don't know to look ya up. It sounds pretty much like

Last edited by RunwayOneSix; 03-08-2010 at 06:30 PM.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:29 PM
July 2010 ROTM

hey guys im not trying to start something but motorcycle Oil IS a little different, it doesnt foam at the high revs like car oil, there are some good car oils people run in their bike without problems, but i had lot of problems with the rotella t blue jug. maybe it wasnt the oil tho. im getting a new clutch and ill try it and see. i think the filters are similar enough to be fine. a high quality filter flows pretty good, well, i would assume that

do u really have to flush going from syn to reg mineral oil?

Last edited by vangill; 03-08-2010 at 09:34 PM.
Old 03-09-2010, 01:59 AM

Don't know if you are still looking for an oil filter. My smart car and my f4i take the exact same oil filter. Mercedes recommends Mobile 1, so I bought a bunch last time they were on sale. We used to have a KIA Sportage that also took the same filter.
Come to think of it, when I got married, the Saab Sonett I had and the Suzuki Sidekick my husband had used the same filter also.

I guess there are only so many size combinations for oil filters.

I buy the honda oil from the dealer. Last i checked it wasn't more than the synthetic i put in my car, so not big loss to me.

Old 03-09-2010, 08:31 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're an idiot. The filter I buy is constructed of a fiber woven material that filter down to 10 microns at 98% efficiency (unlike Honda's 40 microns) The end caps that the filter is glued to are made from stainless steel (not galvanized metal, or worse...cardbaord (fram)), and the rest of the housing is made of stainless steel also. That makes my $3 filter better than any other filter on the market. But stay away from those "reusable" stainless filters you see on ebay, they don't do much "filtering" (90 microns if memory serves). Do want me to get started on tires, and compounds, and construction, and the millions of dollars invested in research and development to provide a better handling, or longer lasting, or more comfy riding tire?

Old 03-09-2010, 09:47 AM

Fantastic,

So I took the advice of what sounded like someone who knew what they were talking about, and the article, and purchased a Purolator PL14610 filter for my bike and did the oil change. Now I'm hearing it really is crucial to have an ML filter.... After spending $40 bucks on oil, am I going to have to drain the oil again to get the PL filter off and install the ML filter, or would I be able to remove the filter w/o draining?

Old 03-09-2010, 09:59 AM

=JaBr1884;891205]Fantastic,

So I took the advice of what sounded like someone who knew what they were talking about, and the article, and purchased a Purolator PL14610 filter for my bike and did the oil change. Now I'm hearing it really is crucial to have an ML filter.... After spending $40 bucks on oil, am I going to have to drain the oil again to get the PL filter off and install the ML filter, or would I be able to remove the filter w/o draining?
You will be fine. When you are getting conflicting reports in a forum it's time to do alittle of your own research... http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/FilterXRef.html Scroll down to #5. The blue filters are recommended filters that the F4i uses.

Do note this bullet in that section: "Purolator ML16817. Imported, not made by Purolator."

Last edited by teko1020; 03-09-2010 at 10:02 AM.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:04 AM

dude if you are worried about it, just get an oem honda filter take that one off put the new one on and top off your oil, and you will be rocking the streets again. I do not know what people just don't use the oem filter its only like 10 bucks and works just as good as anything else. plus you know it is the right one becuase its oem. DUH

Old 03-09-2010, 10:09 AM

Except you can get a better filter than the OEM honda filter, and for less. DUH

Quick Reply: Oil Change Info