Notchy throttle

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 09:05 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Notchy throttle

LOLOLOLOLOL

Old 04-03-2009, 03:42 PM

After a weekend of training at CSS and riding their bike, it makes this issue ever more annoying AND a barrier to good throttle control. I still don't have a solid solution and around here a map would run me $300+ bucks. I'd do it if I could be assured that it would fix this issue (money back guarantee).

I did some reading up on the Fuel Pressure Regulator. Is it possible that I have a fueling issue? I do have a little bit of float at idle. Certainly my Honda should run smoother than a ZX-6.

Old 04-04-2009, 12:22 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry for the nube question..what do you mean exactly by notchy throttle. cause i feel like i have that but its my first sport bike so I have nothing to compare it to

Old 04-04-2009, 12:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chetman7
sorry for the nube question..what do you mean exactly by notchy throttle. cause i feel like i have that but its my first sport bike so I have nothing to compare it to
The spot where you go from no throttle to just a little throttle, or vice versa can be very abrupt. I have a lot of experience with other bikes and noticed it right away on my F4i. Drove me freakin' nuts and was even having a hard time getting the clutch/throttle timing down when shifting gears.

The solution IMO is get a PCIII and hopefully one of the free maps will fix the problem. If not, bite the bullet and get a custom map.

btw- if anybody is looking to buy a PCIII and slipon, I have a Yosh RS-3 and the PC map for it worked fantastic.

Old 04-04-2009, 11:22 PM

I changed the oil today and put some Lucas Snake oil in the tank and it's noticeably smoother. Not fixed, but better...I guess. I'll give some consideration to the custom map.

Old 04-06-2009, 03:36 AM

The notchy transition annoyed the crap out of me this weekend, and that was before I read this thread! Stupid question; can you improve it a bit by adjusting the throttle free play?

Old 04-06-2009, 10:37 AM

I have mine setup for minimal (none) freeplay.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:35 PM

I've got a same year as yours. 2002 F4i. My mods are;
Akrapovic full exhaust system, K&N air filter, Dynojet PCIII USB, -1 front sprocket. I've got a map that I downloaded which is for my exact setup; akrapovic full with k&n and the bike still is a little notchy. I don't know if it's notchy because of my chain being lose or what but I notice that about my bike. Just play with your clutch, but make sure you don't ride your clutch when you start off. I hate the notchyness so when I shift I dont even fully grab the clutch and just shove it in as fast as I can. Shifts real smooth that way.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:30 AM

That's not the notch I'm speaking about. Try this experiment:

Enter a corner off-throttle
Quickly Countersteer to you desired lean angle
Crack the throttle

If it lurches or snatches, then you know what I mean.
What's worse, mine doesn't always do it. At least it hasn't done it since I changed oil and put some Lucas in the gas.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:35 AM

I'm also a n00b with just 40 miles on his recently acquired 2004 cbr 600 f4i... I've ridden curisers before and I easily noticed a "notchy" response of the throttle. In the past, on a cruiser... I would accelerate and then leaving the throttle would be just fine... but on this cbr it seems like I have to keep twisting the throttle a little bit or its as if I am pressing on the break... the bike actually slows down.... is this normal?

Quick Reply: Notchy throttle