F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

New owner/Newbie question about chain cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 01:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New owner/Newbie question about chain cleaning

still don't own a stand. it would be a lot easier if i did...

instead i just walk my bike backwards and greese it up little by little. takes a while, and it's a pain in the ***...

Old 11-09-2007, 09:51 AM

ORIGINAL: sharker98

I have an overhead beam in my garage, I use ratchet straps to lift the rear of my bike.

I then use a multipurpose degreaser, spray it on, spin the wheel by hand while brushing the whole chain down with a plastic brisstle scrub brush, I then hose it off and repeat.....

Then I start the bike and put it in gear and let it run for a couple minutes while blowing compressed air on the chain to dry it..

Then with it still running in 1st gear at idle, I spray a good dose of motul chain lube to the center of the chain. Then shut bike off and let it sit ready for next ride.

Works for me, chain stays clean and quiet. I have 5200 miles on my 06 and chain and sprockets are like new, I have only cleaned and lubed a couple times. I plan to do it more often though.
Be careful doing that. That could be a finger slicer if you're not on top of your game.

Old 11-09-2007, 10:39 AM

Be careful doing that. That could be a finger slicer if you're not on top of your game.
yeah, i'd be scared to clean the chain with it in gear. any loss of concentration and your motorcycle will become a ****-beater meat grinder.

Old 11-09-2007, 11:18 AM

lmao I use a little WD-40 on a rag and wipe my chain down, then apply the lube. And then WD-40 on the rag again and wipe excess off chain where it doesn't need to be. Bling.

Old 11-09-2007, 12:06 PM

I bought this stand: http://www.handyindustries.com/shop/...mp;D=1&S=4

Best investment I ever made! Not only is it a piece of cake to lube chain, but I just put the bike up on front and rear for the winter and it looks great and no tires touching the ground all winter!!!!

Old 11-09-2007, 01:35 PM

ORIGINAL: amnesia

I bought this stand: http://www.handyindustries.com/shop/...mp;D=1&S=4

Best investment I ever made! Not only is it a piece of cake to lube chain, but I just put the bike up on front and rear for the winter and it looks great and no tires touching the ground all winter!!!!
So, Does it simply fit our f4i? Can I just get a rear stand alone since all I'll be doing is the chain rube?
thanks

Old 11-09-2007, 03:06 PM

They basically throw the front one in for free. It just sat in my garage unused, until I had to store the bike for the winter. It actually works great. Best thing is it's really easy to put the bike up on the rear as well as the front by yourself!

Old 11-10-2007, 04:50 AM

Since i put a lot of miles on mine.I clean mine every 1k and lube it ever 500 or so miles.Chain is as clean as the day i bought it(6k miles later).
Before i clean mine i ride it a few miles to get the chain warm,put it on the stand ,using a kerosene and a grudge brush to clean it.I use brake cleaner and a rag to remove and left over dirt and grime.THen spray on my lube ,let dry for a few mins, recoat then its done till i ride again.

As far as stands ,spend the extra cash and get a pitbull stand.They are the best there is..THey are a little more $$$$ than most but are well worth it..Check around you probally can find a good used set for cheap(i got my front and rear stands for 180.00)