F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

need help replacing front brake switch

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 06:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help replacing front brake switch

hi everyone I have a problem which I can't seem to figure out, I need help on how to replace or fix the front brake switch but first of all I wanted to see if this is the main problem. I used a test light and plugged in the hot wire to the switch while touching the other wire to my test light. When I squeeze the brake handles my brake lights just flash once and nothing else. This is all I need and I will be done with my things that I need to do a brake and lamp inspection. If anyone can help with words or pictures I will greatly appreciate it.

Old 05-21-2011, 09:09 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

it's a momentary contact switch. So if you pull both wires off the switch and short across them, your brake-light should illuminate.

If you the, set your VOM to continuity check and set the probes on the two posts on the switch and hit the switch, you should get a 'beep' showing the switch is making a connection.

The first test tells if it's the wiring/connections on the bike. The second tests the switch, itself.

As far as replacing the switch, probably just as cheap to get a whole new assembly on ebay.
Ern

Old 05-21-2011, 10:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink this works

the switch you're talking about isnt made to come apart but will if you're careful and take your time (it's kind of a biatch) but once it is apart be very careful while it's opened because the switch assembly is just floating in there. if the switch on the inside falls apart it's going to take you like an hour to figure out how it goes back together. OKAY LASTLY take some sand paper (I used 80 grit) and rough up the contact points and reassemble. I Used silicone RTV stuff (the blue shiot) to seal the assembly back together. WORKS PERFECT. SAVED MYSELF A TON OF DOE, because if you don't do it you need to get a new starter switch/ run-off switch assembly. I really recommend doing this. what happens is from making contact to eachother so many times it starts to get a build up of carbon so just rough those contact points up and it will work like new
'