F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Is my bike hydro locked? Please help ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 07:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is my bike hydro locked? Please help ASAP

Well, went to a party last night. Woke up this morning and my f4i is on its side. Go outside to stand it back up. Wait a few minuets looking it over, looking for any damage. Start it up, let it run for like 3 sec and decided to lightly rev it. Only to 3k. I know you need to let the bike warm up before you ride hard. Anyway, try to rev it and i hear a clunk so i Immediately turn it off. Decided that the oil probably need to settle back down. Went inside to chill for like 20 min, come outside and it won't start.

I need some major help.

Is it hydro locked? Called a buddy, he said the bike is hydro locked and it happens all the time to stunt bikes. he said oil is probably in the airbox clogging everything up. I just cleaned out the airbox, there was some oil in there. I can look down into the cylinders and i can see oil in 2 of the four. How can excessive oil out of the cylinders?

I'd call him now but its too late.

Any advise? help?

Old 09-18-2011, 07:45 PM

Which side did it fall on? I had a similar problem with my old 900rr. If it fell on the left side, then it could be a problem with the starter gear and pivot point. The starter gear rides on a pin that is held in place on one side by the stator cover and on the opposite side by a hole in the lower engine case. When mine seized up, it was due to part of the case breaking off and that piece getting jammed in between the gears of the starter and fly wheel and not allowing anything to rotate. Nothing would turn over even by jump starting. Soooo..... Hydro locked motors usually dont start and go "clunk". You could trying putting the bike in 6th gear and rocking it back and forth to see if it frees things up. May cause further damage. I wish I had so pics from when I did my repair. Quite simple to fix with no welding, JB welding or other extremes to get it working again. Hope this helps. Feel free to PM me if you need further assisance. All that said, at this time I would have to say try pulling the stator cover and see what you find inside there. Good luck...

Old 09-18-2011, 08:17 PM

It fell on the left side. The kickstand dug into the ground and it fell over.

I can turn the bike over. So i am super glad nothing is seized.

I found this thread:

oil in the head (f4i) - BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

It sounds like what happened to my bike. What do you guys think?

Old 09-21-2011, 09:14 AM

Just to close out the story.

Took the sparkplugs out. Manually turned over the bike. Oil came out of cylinders 1 and 2. Put everything back together, added more oil and she started right up.

Back on the road.