F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

My 2 cents coolant post

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 05:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 2 cents coolant post

Ive researched the Honda green coolant vs. Engine Ice debate. Ive researched Water Wetter and its various qualities when mixed with 50/50 or when mixed with plainH20. I changed my coolant today and decided to avoid the Engine Ice and go with the Honda coolant available at the dealer. I amknown tosplit hairs over stuff like this so I figured I'd post my coolant mix which I feel is probably top notch for street riding.

2.5 quarts of Honda premixed 50/50coolant
0.5 quart of distilled water
.23 quart of Water Wetter

That equals the 3.23 quarts in the manual (not that you'll ever get all the old out). The above mix would result in a total of 55% H20, 38% Ethylene Glycol, and 7% Water Wetter. It's mostly H20 so it will cool better than 50/50, it's got water wetter which I think is a superior product to Engine Ice as an additive, and it's got enough coolant to prevent the type of corrosion that comes with running straight water. I also noticed that Engine Ice doesn't even claim to protect up to the same temps that regular Honda coolant does. This ain't gonna be the topic of the day but eventually it will turn up in a search.

Old 09-02-2008, 06:40 PM
Default RE: My 2 cents coolant post

Sounds good to me. I'm using some regular car anti-freeze, some water wetter, and some H20. i can't really comment on the exact quantities. Running fine for me.

Have you noticed any changes in runing temp.?

Old 09-02-2008, 06:46 PM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Water wetter just lubes the parts when only water is used, it won't do anything for anti-freeze mixes as the anti-freeze is already doing water wetters job. I'll go water wetter only when I finally change my coolant, no reason not too unless you live up north.

Old 09-02-2008, 07:40 PM

great post. looks like you've done all your homework

Old 09-02-2008, 11:47 PM

Anti freeze has no coolant properties whatsoever. It doesn't matter which product you buy. Anti freeze provides a lube for the water pump as well as prevents the water from freezing. It is the distilled water mixed with the antifreeze that actually provides the cooling for the engine. Track dorks like me require engine ice, or water wetter because we run straight distilled water which tends to promote corrosion. Water wetter lubes the pump, and prevents corrosion in the rad (same as engine ice) thats it!

You seem to have done your homework reading product promotion websites. Your thermostat will keep your engine coolant the same temperature whether you use distilled water, or a really big waste of a concoction like you suggest. If you don't know anything about bikes stick with manufacturer specs. Unless you ride the track you aren't taxing your bike in any way requiring big concern about aftermarket coolant additives anyway.

If you think I'm lying fill your bike with distilled water, throw some water wetter or engine ice, or whatever additive in. Run the bike, you'll see no difference in the temps. Just don't leave it out in the frost you'll crack your engine block!

Old 09-03-2008, 11:34 AM

ORIGINAL: birdstrike

Anti freeze has no coolant properties whatsoever. It doesn't matter which product you buy. Anti freeze provides a lube for the water pump as well as prevents the water from freezing. It is the distilled water mixed with the antifreeze that actually provides the cooling for the engine. Track dorks like me require engine ice, or water wetter because we run straight distilled water which tends to promote corrosion. Water wetter lubes the pump, and prevents corrosion in the rad (same as engine ice) thats it!

You seem to have done your homework reading product promotion websites. Your thermostat will keep your engine coolant the same temperature whether you use distilled water, or a really big waste of a concoction like you suggest. If you don't know anything about bikes stick with manufacturer specs. Unless you ride the track you aren't taxing your bike in any way requiring big concern about aftermarket coolant additives anyway.

If you think I'm lying fill your bike with distilled water, throw some water wetter or engine ice, or whatever additive in. Run the bike, you'll see no difference in the temps. Just don't leave it out in the frost you'll crack your engine block!
Never read a single promotional or company website for any of those products. Never even read the B.S. label promos on Engine Ice until yesterday. I do know its stupid to run straight water for long periods of time in a streetbike and it's bad to run your coolant percentage too much above your water percentagesince a ph imbalance can cause slowcorrosionovertime. Yeah, the thermostat is going to open at the same temperature once the engine warms up no matter what type of coolant you're running. But what I'm "wasting my time for" is trying to keep engine temps lower once the thermostat is open and the coolant is flowing, trying to keep it from getting up to 210-220 so quicklywhen riding through stoplights, trying to have a little more water than coolant for the best ph balance for the internals, and doing all that while having a mixture that will last thousands of miles and not need to be changed or swapped back and forth. Maybe you can start your own forum since you've got to slam one perfectly sensible post from someone who understands automotive coolingto brag on being such a trackboy genius.