F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

MPG - Is this normal?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 02:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KIDZPLAY
I noticed about the same amount of drop in my mpg when i installed my pcIII. My range is around 130 - 135 and the light will come on. I don't ride mine hard most of the time. Just every once in a while. A friend of mine gets about 125 no matter how he rides. (most of the time really hard)
So I guess this along with the 15/46 sprocket setup (520 DID chain), and the SpeedoDRD is normal then, correct? I don't ride hard, just sometimes as you say.

Old 08-22-2011, 03:06 AM

I would say over all, yes.

I also plan to get my bike dyno tuned to get it more "fine tuned". and hope that it will improve a little bit. Not expecting it to go back to mpg that i used to get. I knew that i was going to lose some since the pcIII is changing the ratio and dumping more fuel than before. I also did my exhaust, k&n filter, and intake flap mod. So those made a difference as well.

Thats just the price we have to pay to play!!!

Old 08-22-2011, 09:43 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 150 miles to a tank is with the tank filled properly (i.e. held upright, not on the side stand), this usually equates to just under 15L - i.e. approx 10miles/L or 46 miles per UK gallon (4.54L). I clean my K+N once every 8000 miles, it is usually suitably filthy by the time I clean it.

Also in the UK we have either 95 or 98 octane, I have never run my bike on anything other than 95 so I don't know how they respond to the cheap stuff.

It could just be that your bike was running very lean before you installed the PCIII or that you have chosen a map that is a bit rich for your setup.

Have you tried other maps? It is not unheard of for commuters to pick a slightly leaned out fuelling map to save on fuel - it makes the bike run slightly hotter and if you overdo it you can knacker your engine but it is fairly common with high mileage riders.

Old 08-22-2011, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by DonnyBrago
My 150 miles to a tank is with the tank filled properly (i.e. held upright, not on the side stand), this usually equates to just under 15L - i.e. approx 10miles/L or 46 miles per UK gallon (4.54L). I clean my K+N once every 8000 miles, it is usually suitably filthy by the time I clean it.

Also in the UK we have either 95 or 98 octane, I have never run my bike on anything other than 95 so I don't know how they respond to the cheap stuff.

It could just be that your bike was running very lean before you installed the PCIII or that you have chosen a map that is a bit rich for your setup.

Have you tried other maps? It is not unheard of for commuters to pick a slightly leaned out fuelling map to save on fuel - it makes the bike run slightly hotter and if you overdo it you can knacker your engine but it is fairly common with high mileage riders.
Please note that I am giving you the mileage for the time the reserve light comes on, not when the tank is empty. Before installing the PCIII I used to get 140-150 before the reserve light comes on. I want to change the map and see, but I have picked one that was made for my setup - yoshimura + k&n. What others should I try? Should I switch back from 89 to 91 octane?

Old 08-23-2011, 12:17 AM

I get what your sayin as far as when your reserve light comes on. thats when mine comes on.

I agree with donny. i would use the higher octane gas. Your only putting 3 1/2 gallons in. more pros to better gas

Old 08-23-2011, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by KIDZPLAY
I get what your sayin as far as when your reserve light comes on. thats when mine comes on.

I agree with donny. i would use the higher octane gas. Your only putting 3 1/2 gallons in. more pros to better gas
What are the advantages of using a higher octane gasoline?

Old 08-23-2011, 02:02 AM

I have noticed in my truck that i get a little better fuel mileage.

A lower octane of 87 is not as volatile as 93. When compressed air and fuel are measured in order to obtain the exact measure of explosive strength, there is more volume of fuel required of 87 octane compared to 93 octane to reach the same amount of power.

So, if the volume of fuel required is less when using 93 octane compared to 87 octane, the amount of fuel consumption is less. So basicaly, less wasted fuel. Plus the higher octane burns better.

Old 08-23-2011, 02:04 AM

Here's a link to give you a more clear awnser The Mystery of 'Octane' Finally Uncovered

You might try experimenting with 91 since you have a PCIII, but it also might just need to get the map tuned.

From the Article

"Higher octane fuel has only one beneficial feature - it allows an engine to run at higher temperatures with more advanced ignition timing under higher levels of compression witout detonating / knocking. Higher octane fuel does NOT have more potential energy and will not make an engine perform better unless that engine is knocking. On modern engines with knock sensors, higher octane fuel may make the engine run better if the knock sensors are retarding the ignition timing, which hinders performance. High octane fuel does not burn cleaner, it does not clean your engine, it does not increase horsepower or torque (unless you are experiencing knock), it does not smell better, it does not increase fuel economy (unless you are experiencing knock) and is not better for the environment. If you buy higher octane fuels for any of the above reasons, STOP!"

Last edited by CrankyHippo; 08-23-2011 at 02:08 AM.