F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Low gear shifting issues

Old 07-27-2009, 03:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low gear shifting issues

Hey Guys,
I am having some minor issues with my shifter on my f4i. As I shift up in lower gears there is this delayed clunk about half a second then engagement. This happens mostly in secod gear I believe. Shifting in lower gears is generally little vague vs. my other bike VF750C.

I don't know if it is related to this, but also when I'm in stop & go traffic, I tend to roll as much as I can instead of putting my foot down. I have to pull clutch lever on F4i, otherwise bike sputters in 1st gear with clutch fully engaged. I can keep VF750C engaged much longer and pull clutch lever in & out to stay afloat.

Another issue is that even though clutch cable is adjusted fine, engaging happens toward the very end of releasing the lever. I suspect this F4i was abused by previous owner. It accelerates to 140+ MPH just fine. My problems are in low speed areas.
Anybody has any ideas? Let me know what you think!
Thanks!

-Ben-

Old 07-27-2009, 07:01 PM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The clunk you speak of, you sure it's not the normal "clunky" 1st to 2nd shift? You're passing through neutral when shifting up from first & some people have experienced difficulty doing this.
With the rolling during heavy traffic, I do the same thing. Normally to do this you have to modulate between disengaging the clutch & giving it throttle. Perhaps your VF750C has a little more torque at idle speed than the F4i.
As for the clutch engaging towards the end of lever travel, there's been a few inquiries regarding that. Either get used to it, or buy adjustable levers. Although, I too wish they would have come adjustable from the factory.

Old 07-28-2009, 09:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah VF definetely has a very flat torque curve. Perhaps that helps with very low speed coasting better than f4i, like you said.

I thought clutch was out of spec on mine. But sounds like that's normal too.

Thanks for the feedback Incognito!

-Ben-