F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Turn signal issues & shifting to 2nd

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 08:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn signal issues & shifting to 2nd

Wassup guys, new rider here. I have a 01 F4i 600 and I'm having some issues with my left turn signal. My right turn signal engages just fine from what I noticed, and when I try to use my left turn sginal it will flicker once then dim out and not work anymore. Any ideas? Fuses seem fine by the way.

I also have an issue when I'm out riding and I try to shift to second but it just rattles sometimes. It works when I depress the clutch and press it again though. Could it be my clutch slipping? (I'm not really into bike mechanics but I work on cars all the time)

Old 04-08-2010, 05:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure bout the blinker, I'm sure its electrical (duh) Check all the connections. As for shifting, I've found that you have to shift with "authority" not just casually lifting the foot. When I would kinda halfass lift my foot, I'd get the same results you're describing, especially from first to second.
Oh, and welcome to the board.

Old 04-08-2010, 05:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Blinker Relay is where I would start

Old 04-08-2010, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by skoobydoobie
Not sure bout the blinker, I'm sure its electrical (duh) Check all the connections. As for shifting, I've found that you have to shift with "authority" not just casually lifting the foot. When I would kinda halfass lift my foot, I'd get the same results you're describing, especially from first to second.
Oh, and welcome to the board.
Thanks! It's wierd. When I do put some authority on it, it won't shift lol. When I half *** it and baby it in, then it'll shift to 2nd. I hate it I will look real stupid when I'm riding and you hear random revving because I thought it was in 2nd.

Old 04-09-2010, 08:55 AM

When I had a problem with my left turn signal shorting out I found out my connector socket was broken so it didn't hold the blinker plug in 100% and it would short out sometimes when I turned the wheel all the way to one side.
Check all the connections first since it could easily be a loose wire somewhere (especially if you have flush mounts that were spliced and connected poorly)

Old 04-09-2010, 09:37 AM

wierd i posted here last night and this morning poof its gone. ok well here goes again. ^+1 on checking those blinkers. thats where i see the prob most of the time. for the shifting. when was the last time it had an oil change and was MC oil used or just regular part store oil. belive it or not it DOES make a diff(if you didn't already know). regular oil gets beat down by the clutch and tranny in a bike and when it gets thin it gets harder to shift and makes it really hard to find neutral sometimes.

Old 04-09-2010, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by james_hale2
wierd i posted here last night and this morning poof its gone. ok well here goes again. ^+1 on checking those blinkers. thats where i see the prob most of the time. for the shifting. when was the last time it had an oil change and was MC oil used or just regular part store oil. belive it or not it DOES make a diff(if you didn't already know). regular oil gets beat down by the clutch and tranny in a bike and when it gets thin it gets harder to shift and makes it really hard to find neutral sometimes.
Haha, I love my bike! I recently changed the oil for the engine with Motul, I haven't changed my tranny oil I have 14k on the bike and I got it for 2500$ clean title. I mean, Ive changed tranny oil before in a car and it made it shift a lot smoother. I'll give it a shot, any oil recommendations?