F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

lessons learned

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 10:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lessons learned

Just hit my first 500 miles riding! Everytime I ride it's a new experience. Someday's i'll cruise around, hit the thottle and feel that pull (it's addicting), other day's i'll practice cornering and figure 8's in an empty parking lot. I'm becoming more comfortable and realizing what it means to 'ride within your limits'...that has slowly started to build my confidence. Here are some things I've learned so far:

-When the reserve fuel display comes on....get gas befor you forget!About 1 in 40 people will stop to ask if you need help.

-Let go of the throttle if you're not going to make your turn, you won't end up going across somebody front yard.

-If you see people poppin' wheelies and wish you could do one, find a nice private place and try a burnout instead.

-Helmets work great against rocks and big bugs that suddenly smack into you.

Old 07-07-2007, 04:07 AM
Default RE: lessons learned

lol i think lots of people rhn outta gas... not me... i get gas.....................

pleasze tell me you didn go over someoness lawn...

wheelies are good rev and rop the clutch see what happens... first gear onlyyy

when a big bug splats on my visor i always laff and think to myself what if i wanst wearing the helmet, that **** would be all over my faceeee aaaaaaaaaahahahahaha...

budlight ftw. much love.

Old 07-07-2007, 04:42 AM

ORIGINAL: suicidal

lol i think lots of people rhn outta gas... not me... i get gas.....................

pleasze tell me you didn go over someoness lawn...

wheelies are good rev and rop the clutch see what happens... first gear onlyyy

when a big bug splats on my visor i always laff and think to myself what if i wanst wearing the helmet, that **** would be all over my faceeee aaaaaaaaaahahahahaha...

budlight ftw. much love.
lol i cant wait til tom when you wake up with a hang over and get on here and go damn ii didnt make any sence last night LOL

Old 07-07-2007, 06:56 AM

-Let go of the throttle if you're not going to make your turn, you won't end up going across somebody front yard.
150% wrong and incorrect. Getting too quickly out of a turn will in fact make the bike stand up, thus forcing you to the outside of the turn. Worse, if you're really HOT into the turn and you chop the throttle, you're setting yourself up for a possible high-side.

You SLOWLY back off the throttle, look as far thru' your turn as you can, push those bars harder (look, push, lean), lean your body INSIDE the centerline of the bike and then SLOWLY start rolling back ON the throttle.

The bike *will* do it. YOU are the limiting factor.

Never, ever, EVER chop the throttle in a turn. Ever.

And one last thought... if you think you're going to crash, you WILL. If you think you'll make the turn, 99% of the time, you will.

Take the Lee Parks ARC class or at least go buy his book. The life you save will be your own. No, I'm not kidding.

Old 07-07-2007, 07:36 AM

he's 100% right. dont cut the throttle in a turn for about 25 different reasons.

Old 07-07-2007, 08:29 AM

I hear what your saying. I think I just worded it wrong, in that particular instance I was at a stop turning left. I hit the throttle a little hard, and didn't look into the turn and by the time I realized I wasn't going to make it, I got the bike straight up (instead of braking in the turn)and rode across the yard ....lol, it's funny thinking back on it now, but at the time I was like oh crap! Another reason it happened isbecause I didn't have the confidence in pushing on the bars and leaning the bike.....the fear of the bike slidding out from under me i guess, although I know it won't happen as long as I'm on the throttle.

Old 07-07-2007, 09:03 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: equan

I hear what your saying. I think I just worded it wrong, in that particular instance I was at a stop turning left. I hit the throttle a little hard, and didn't look into the turn and by the time I realized I wasn't going to make it, I got the bike straight up (instead of braking in the turn)and rode across the yard
you also dont want to brake in the turn. you will cause the bike to want to stand back up. and IF you were to press the rear brake to hard while leaning the bike over you would risk it sliding out from under you.....so if you would have tried to brake in the turn you would have possibly had the same end result (just maybe not as far into the yard). you would want to do just what was worded in an above reply.......give it more throttle and lean more. its easier said than done i guess, lol.

Old 07-07-2007, 09:10 AM

enty speed and mid corner speed panicking have been the hardest thing for me to overcome.I still find myself doing itoccasionnally. It is very hard to not chop the throttle, or even worse, brake.either reaction will spell disaster. You have to control your fear and have confindence, the bike and tires will take the turn, as long as youjust hold steady throttle and lean it, and LOOK THRU THE TURN not at that ditch. in some situations, its even better to give it a little more gas to keep from overloading the front tire, but thats alittle more advanced technique.

Old 07-07-2007, 04:10 PM

Equan, you need to take the MSF course. Its worth every penny. Even if you have been riding for a few months, you should still take it.

Old 07-07-2007, 04:53 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i've only been riding since april (i have 4,300 miles seat time) and i also sometimes tap the brakes in the turns if im going in too quick, but i quickly realize what im doing and release it and roll on and lean if need be. i think when you first start riding it is just natural to want to slow down if going in too quick. just gotta catch yourself and go against your instint and natural reaction.