F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Led

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 01:19 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright. Yeah I asked about having to drill only because it would be great if there was a switch that would fit without any drilling. Like I had said I want this to be independent in the sense that I can unplug it and look as if it were never there.

I suppose if I ever want to get rid of the switch I could just buy another air duct cover.

So I THINK I have enough info to start this project. I purchased a 6" ribbon led to just size everything out and make sure it looks good. If I like the look of the audi light I will buy 2 +-9" leds, the switch, and the inline fuse.

Anyone know if there is an auxiliary fuse on the f4i?

Old 08-03-2011, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by jeffjones

I used a switch like this, except a lot smaller.
Heres a pic:

I also have one on the other side for my headlights, in case I ever wanted to turn them off.

Eventually I am going to wire it with just one "on-off-on" switch to where I can have both on, just the leds on, of off altogether.

For some reason my picture was upside down, so here it is again.

You should be fine with the rocker switch (whichever you choose), 2 48cm led strips, an inline fuse, and some wire direct to the battery.
I find myself mechanically inclined so this was all really easy to do. If you need anything else just ask.

You can also see in my intakes, that I wired a full led in amber for blinkers. Food for thought.

Old 08-04-2011, 03:00 AM
July 2008 ROTM

I have two of the Oznium LED rocker switches shown before drilled into the air duct cover on the left side, so they WILL fit.

And I meant that if you use the add-a-circuit plugged into your fuse box, you will not be able to close the cover on the fuse box. It's not really a big deal but some people are picky like that.

Old 08-04-2011, 05:28 AM
Banned

For the LED's, is a 5 amp fuse too much?

Im thinking 3 is probably just enough....

Old 08-04-2011, 06:59 AM
Welcome Crew and May 2012 Ride of the Month
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kazspeed
For the LED's, is a 5 amp fuse too much?

Im thinking 3 is probably just enough....
I have a 5A fuse for my underglow and it is capable of 12 LED strips and 324 total LED's, So a 3A will be fine.

Old 08-05-2011, 02:36 AM
July 2008 ROTM

I have a 5A fuse for my underglow and it is capable of 12 LED strips and 324 total LED's, So a 3A will be fine.
Fuse is still probably too big.

For a motorcycle LED set up, you likely won't need more than 1 or 3, depending on the number of lights. If you're doing just a few strips, a 1amp fuse is sufficient.

Technically you want to base your fuse rating on the wire size, not the total lights, but that's another overly complicated discussion. But you should use small wires where possible - 18 gauge is the highest you should go for small current lights like these, with 22 being a recommended size.

Old 08-05-2011, 05:44 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Aken
Fuse is still probably too big.

For a motorcycle LED set up, you likely won't need more than 1 or 3, depending on the number of lights. If you're doing just a few strips, a 1amp fuse is sufficient.

Technically you want to base your fuse rating on the wire size, not the total lights, but that's another overly complicated discussion. But you should use small wires where possible - 18 gauge is the highest you should go for small current lights like these, with 22 being a recommended size.
Roger that. I am purchasing the lights and switch from oznium, and the recommend 18 gauge wire.

One question though, the inline fuse wire is 16 gauge, is it ok to hook 18 gauge wire, to a 16 gauge in line fuse, back to 18 gauge?

Old 08-05-2011, 06:50 AM

Roger that. I am purchasing the lights and switch from oznium, and the recommend 18 gauge wire.

One question though, the inline fuse wire is 16 gauge, is it ok to hook 18 gauge wire, to a 16 gauge in line fuse, back to 18 gauge?
If you can just crimp a fork or ring connector on the the end of the 16awg inline fuse then you can connect the other end to the 18awg.

Old 08-05-2011, 07:26 AM
Banned

If you can just crimp a fork or ring connector on the the end of the 16awg inline fuse then you can connect the other end to the 18awg.

Now just out of curiousity, what is the purpose of doing that?

p.s.- thanks for everyone helping me out with my questions

Old 08-05-2011, 08:03 AM

Now just out of curiousity, what is the purpose of doing that?

p.s.- thanks for everyone helping me out with my questions
Just an easier more secure connection to the battery terminal.

Name:  thumbnail.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  2.1 KB
Name:  thumbnail1.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  3.4 KB