F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Leaks!!! All over the place

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 02:33 AM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Leaks!!! All over the place

Today I go to change my plugs. I pull the fairings and start on the left side. As Im working by chance I look inside the frame to the rear engine/thermostat area and notice stains all over. Closer inspection shows at some point there was alot of antifreeze coming out from the thermostat area as the entire thing is coated badly. I also notice the same dried coolant residue at the end of the radiator hose where is connects down on the bottem left side of the bike, and to top it off the smaller hose next to it was leeching past the clamp and visibly wet, so I have problems in two different areas. WTF? Bike has never overheated or put any coolant on the ground. My only guess was it was last saterday at a trackday as I was putting in some good laps and running her hard. I rode again tonight and no leaks anywhere or running hot. Coolant isen't low either.
Thats not the super cool part either. As I was looking the engine over I see that the CCTL [which I replaced 15k ago at 32k] was coated in greasy dirt, so aparently that is now leaking badly somehow.

Anyone ever have something like this happen with the coolant? If so what was the cause?

Old 04-24-2011, 06:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How is the level in your overflow bottle???
It may have just been from running it hard at the track. Check to make sure everything is tight and free flowing.
As for the cct it my just need a new gasket or it to maybe loose.
Are you sure your not riding a Harley???? :-D

Old 04-24-2011, 12:41 PM

I had a similar issue with coolant leaking out of the upper radiator hose. It was leaking out of the threads that run through the hose past the clamp. I replaced the hose and all is well. I think over time the hose just deteriorates.

The first time I replaced my CCTL with an OEM tensioner I forgot to buy a new gasket so I reused the old one. Because of this I had the same issue with oily grime around the tensioner.

Old 04-24-2011, 01:14 PM

I would change the gaskets and check the tightening on the hoses and the hoses too. They tend to rip where the clamps hold them after a few years. It may not be noticeable but when the bike is running and the system is pressurized they leak. I just changed the one that connects to the upper side on the radiator for the same reason.

Old 04-24-2011, 01:39 PM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

My coolant level is exactly at the lower level line, normally its in the middle of low and high. Im guessing it got nice and hot on the track then overflowed once shut off in the pit area.

Im going to order all new hoses tonight along with a new thermostat upper and side gaskets and a cctl gasket. I put a new one on there with the new lifter, perhaps there was some left over gasket material I missed cleaning off.

Old 04-24-2011, 01:45 PM

When I picked up my f4i and went to give her the run down on the mechanic part, I also had an oily cctl. Ordered new gasket, installed and no more cctl leaks. I guess the previous owner changed it and also reused the gasket...