F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

K&N air filter

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 08:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K&N air filter

has anyone ever replaced their OEM air filter with this? did you guys feel a difference after doing it? i just purchased mine. Also does anyone have a link showing detailed info on how to do it? i know you need to remove the gas tank but what else is there to it? thanks

Old 09-05-2008, 09:44 AM
Registered Users
Default RE: K&N air filter

you likely won't feel any gain in swapping to it....MIGHT actually hurt performance a smidge....

as for putting it in, i know there are few tutorials floating around...i can think of where yet, try searching in the forum....

Old 09-05-2008, 09:58 AM

Really?!?!? it might actually hurt preformance? ive read great reviews on it from motorcyclesuperstore.com

Old 09-05-2008, 10:05 AM
Registered Users

yeah there is a debate that's been raging for a bit....the short of it....

a site did some dyno testing and found that a new air filter greatly affects the fuel/air ratio...

stock filters are paper and made to allow a specific flow of air, you change that with either a more or less restrictive filter, and you are changing the fuel/air ratio...although the thought is more air is better, if i remember correctly, the additional air is more turbulent and is less beneficial, in addition, if you don't remap your fuel injection, there is a good chance you could be running lean (maybe it's rich, i forget).....

the debate as to K&N has a lot of discussion...many think because they work awesome in their cars, they will work great in the bike, doesn't SEEM to be the case....if you are going with an aftermarket air filter, a lot of people tend to go with a BMC filter with a power commander and custom tune to get the minor (if any gain)....

however, having said all this, A LOT of people run K&N and love them and say they have no issues, so I guess it's really up to you....there's a site about the filters....one site's take http://www.rc51.org/airfilt.htm

Old 09-05-2008, 10:20 AM

K&N's were designed many years ago as a 'race' filter for 'race' cars. They were designed to flow way more air than a paper filter and still clean that air to some extent. The fact that they let more dirt particles pass through was okay because race engines get rebuilt/replaced or at least torn apart and parts replaced on a frequent basis.

As a long term component on a street/high mileage engine I don't believe in them. They have been shown repeatedly to let more dirt pass through and on a performance motor like one in a sportbike I want the inside of mine to be as clean as possible. I have heard similar comments to what ffingers said about the power/air pressure differences. Although gains and losses from air filter changes are probably in the nbrhood of +/- 2 hp.

I can guarantee you a stock filter will block more dirt than a K&N. I'm sure there are cases where the guy who runs Wal-mart brand dinosauroil has a bike that outlasts the guy who runs Amsoil synthetic, if you know what I mean.

BTW, I run a K&N on my Harley but that bike is built for looks and jugs are cheap and easy to replace. Repair on the Honda is a little more involved.

Old 09-05-2008, 10:23 AM

fffingers is correct, ive def heard/read sim articles on this. I currently have stock one in, but will prob replace next summer, not sure yet which one ill get? if its clean, may just leave it alone. Im guessing an oem one is prob more $ vs BMC/K&N, that usually the case anyway

Old 09-05-2008, 11:45 AM

Not to be a thread jacker but is there any real difference between K&N and a BMC filter? If I plan on going with a PCIII in the near future would I be better off witheither of those two(if so which one)or should I just stick to OEM? Any suggestions would be helpful!

Old 09-05-2008, 11:52 AM
Registered Users

i have HEARD and READ that BMC is better if you remap. They have a street and a race filter. The street does not need a remap (although i would do one anyways). The race flows A LOT more air and with a tune should give you some gains, however, it is a lot less protection from debris. As stated above, race engines are torn down and rebuilt often so using a BMC race for the track is fine because fine particles will be cleaned and you are not looking for a daily driver. Now granted, i STILL might use a BMC race, i dunno yet. Either way, i think the general consensus that if you go with aftermarket, BMC tends to be slightly better.

Also, I don't have the link, i have drudged it up a few times, but there is a picture showing the K&N having less surface area to flow air than the BMC and STOCK! it's not huge, but understanding that the fuel/air ratio is very finely tuned, even a small difference in air can make a difference.