F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Just changed coolant...

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 04:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just changed coolant...

and man was it a b!tch....haha I'm in college and away from home, the garage, and tools. I just have a basic tool kit. Isearched around on the forum for procedures on how to change it and compared with the service manual.Basically, I went out expecting for it to be a smooth and pretty simple thing to do at 1am.

It ended up taking me two hours. I didn't have all of the necessary common tools, such as needle nose pliers to remove the clips on the hoses and the right sockets. Things just weren't going how I had expected. For example, when I detached the siphon filter to empty the reserve tank, the coolant didn't come out. I probably missed alot of stuff that made something easy hard. I ended up taking thepump off of a soap bottle and shoving it into the hose and pumping it likecrazy until the coolant would come out.

Sorry for ranting.. I'll stop now...but doing all these things for the first time ends up being alot harder and having more complications than expected...but i wanted to share my frustration with you guys..maybe some will think its funny haha =p

Old 04-24-2008, 09:47 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Just changed coolant...

you know...you can unbolt the overflow tank and just dump the coolant out right?
muhahahhahah...nonetheless...good idea with the soap pump.

next time you'll be able to do it much faster!!!!!

make sure you got all the air bubbles out...or you'll overheat.

Old 04-24-2008, 12:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Just changed coolant...

haha thanks...it seemed like it would be hard to do...I'd have to remove more than just the fairing right? or no?... How do I make sure I get all the air bubbles out?? I filled up both the radiator and reserve tank and I closed off the reserve tank and left the radiator cap off and started the bike and let it warm up to about 150 and just twisted the throttle real quick 4-5 times. That's what the manual said....is that how to do it?? please let me know! cuz I decided to do it at 1am because it has been about 90 degrees here and my bike keeps overheating and I couldnt stand it anymore! Thanks alot tahoe! =)