F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Just bought 2001 f4i, looking for wisdom!

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 11:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Just bought 2001 f4i, looking for wisdom!

My 2007 GSXR 600 was stolen on Feb. 25, 2009. -RIP- lol. Good news is, i just bought a 2001 CBR f4i for 3700 bones! Never been on one before today, and i have to say i'm impressed!!! I want to stunt the hell out of it on Sat. and Sundays, and take it to work M-F. It's been lowered, but otherwise all stock. Speedo doesn't work, either... It has 14k miles, unknown maintenance. What do i need to know about this bike, and what aftermarkets does this bike need?

Old 03-06-2009, 12:50 PM

AHH the classic stunted F4i!!! first off make sure the cct is changed to a manual as that is a HUGE design flaw but once you change it you never have to think of it again!! As for maintenance just do your normal with any new bike...ie oil, brake fluid, chain lube.

If your looking to go big with your stunts you'll want to get a bigger rear sprocket at least and a crash cage, as well as your steering damper and rear handbrake. But once those are done your bike should be set!!!

I don't know how other people feel but most the guys I know locally love the F4i because it has a sweet balance point and once its up you can keep it there for as long as you got the ***** to!! LOL

Old 03-06-2009, 02:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ID_CBRRider
AHH the classic stunted F4i!!! first off make sure the cct is changed to a manual as that is a HUGE design flaw but once you change it you never have to think of it again!!
Huh, NO! The pressure tip of the CCT is held on by a pin. that pin is generally a little loose and lets it rattle. There have been far more failures due to botched up manual cct conversions than there have been auto cct failures. People just dont like the noise. Also a manual CCT is just that, Manual. Try running the bike for along time without thinking about it and see what happens.

Old 03-06-2009, 03:55 PM

I'll agree with you jonld, maybe failures was the wrong word to use, but as for them just simply making noise, I have to disagree. When the pin wears out it doesn't put the required tension on the tensioner which means that, albeit a slim possibilty, you could cause your cam chains to wear out from, or worst case scenario, jump a tooth on your cams.
I also have a really hard time seeing how someone could botch up a manual cct conversion as it is simply two bolts to install and tightening a center stud.

Old 03-06-2009, 05:14 PM

The timing gets thrown off when the tension is taken off the chain. Theres posts about it and the way that is recommended to prevent this is to make sure cylinder 1 is at TDC when making the change.

Old 03-06-2009, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by ID_CBRRider
I'll agree with you jonld, maybe failures was the wrong word to use, but as for them just simply making noise, I have to disagree. When the pin wears out it doesn't put the required tension on the tensioner which means that, albeit a slim possibilty, you could cause your cam chains to wear out from, or worst case scenario, jump a tooth on your cams.
I also have a really hard time seeing how someone could botch up a manual cct conversion as it is simply two bolts to install and tightening a center stud.
there is a rattle coming from the body that kinda sounds like a loose chain... is that the pin you're talking about? "manual" implies that i will have to adjust it on a regular basis, too...

Old 03-06-2009, 05:26 PM

ha! nevermind, i need to learn how to read instead of type, i guess.