F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

integrated tail light help

Old 06-11-2009, 03:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jmclmorrow
I am in a similar situation, a little confused still and want to clear things up.

there is a yellow and blue wire coming out of my tailight. coming from the stock wiring on my bike is 2 sets of wires for the turn signals, 1 set has a green and orange wire, the other set has a green and light blue wire. The green is ground and I dont even hook that up to anything? What do I do with it if im not hooking it up to anything?
correct. what you want to do is to connect the yellow with orange and blue with blue. what i did was use a really small flat tip to get the green wire out from the connector and taped it with an electrical tape, so its isolated from everything else. the reason why you dont need the green wires on the turn signal is because you will be using the ground on the running light anyway (3 wires per bulb, one of them is the ground, and you only need to use one set of the 3 wires).

Originally Posted by Jmclmorrow
so I would hook up the orange wire to either the yellow or blue coming out of my tailight and hook up the light blue wire to either the orange or the blue? By turning my bike and directional on will I be able to test these to make sure they work or do I have to hook up the other wires for the taillight first?
i believe you dont need to hook up all the wires to check if the turn signals are working properly. just make sure you test everything before finishing it up. also, i've used resistors to correct the blink rate. some said that without the resistors the blink rate was so rapid that they thought the light was on the whole time, and that was not the case.

Old 06-12-2009, 06:28 AM

I accually got it figured out last night, but thanks for responding!

Old 06-14-2009, 01:12 AM
Old 01-11-2010, 10:54 AM

I am having some problems with this myself.... The blinker wires coming out of the tail light are yellow. I connect one to my blue blinker wire, and one to my orange blinker wire. Then the 3 wire brake light wires i connected black to black, green to green, and green/yellow to red.... Nothing works, when i turn my blinkers on I hear the clicking, but no blinking, and no brake lights??? what am i doing wrong?

and I was not running through the resistors ... could this be the problem? If anyone has pictures this would be amazing... thank you guys

Old 01-12-2010, 08:43 PM

Like the guys above stated.. you don't need to connect the green wires (ground wire). Here's a video I found and it was helpful. Hope it helps you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQZuNJv_oGo

Old 01-12-2010, 08:48 PM

For one this a plug and play tail light so you shouldn't have needed to connect the actual brake light up just plug it in and done. That little black connector pieces goes into your tail light harness. As for the signal wires you must find which side goes to which light.. Just touch the wires together while the blinker is on for this no need to connect it all up. Btw nothing will work if your brake lights are not connected right, signal wires ground thru the brake harness.

Old 01-14-2010, 01:54 AM

great vid, but that's only for an RR. f4i's are a bit different considering the exhaust set up.

Last edited by mbison83; 01-14-2010 at 01:57 AM.
Old 01-14-2010, 11:28 AM

No, you're right that is an RR. I have an f4i myself and for the most part the wiring is the same. He did do some extra work on the tail but I just wanted to show how he connected the wires.