F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Installed a new clutch today!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 10:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installed a new clutch today!!

I have about 20,000 miles on my 01 F4i, and replaced my clutch with an EBC Kevlar Clutch Kit. WOW!!! That thing rides like an entirely new bike now. It's a LOT stiffer than stock, but it shifts so much shoother. I actually killed it the first time I took it out because I was so used to letting the clutch out all the way before it cought. I got about a quarter of the way released, and it wanted to go. It is so nice.

Old 03-25-2008, 10:03 AM
Default RE: Installed a new clutch today!!

How much was it and was the install tough? I would like to change mine out since it feels so worn out compared to my buddies 06 R6.

Old 03-25-2008, 12:19 PM

https://cbrforum.com/m_267295/tm.htm

The first time you do it, it will take you a bit longer. Here is a post on how to change your clutch, MAKE SURE YOU SOAK YOUR NEW PLATES IN OIL BEFORE INSTALLING. I changed mine out last summer. Not too hard to do now that I have done it.

Old 03-25-2008, 01:16 PM

It was about $80 for the kit. It was pretty easy. I went through a dry run first, and busted a head on one of the spring bolts. You really need to be careful with them. 9 ft lbs is not much. I thought that if i was going to break something it should be on the old one, not the new one. The bike had old oil in it when i got it, so I changed it right away. I was amazed though how much of a difference it made just taking them out and soaking them in new oil. After that it ran ok, not fantastic, but it was definitely better than before. With the Kevlar set though, it is like a new bike. A buddy of mine has an RR, and he took it out before we changed the clutch, and then after and he was amazed too. He said before it just fealt weird, the throttle didn't seem to punch for him when he changed gears. Afterwards he said it's like the bike just came off the lot. He was amazed.

Old 03-25-2008, 05:22 PM

I definitely want to change mine.. I was thinking about a barnett clutch, anyone used them?

Old 03-25-2008, 06:25 PM

I have a Barnett and it is great. +1

Old 03-26-2008, 10:51 AM

ORIGINAL: krobberts

It was about $80 for the kit. It was pretty easy. I went through a dry run first, and busted a head on one of the spring bolts. You really need to be careful with them. 9 ft lbs is not much. I thought that if i was going to break something it should be on the old one, not the new one. The bike had old oil in it when i got it, so I changed it right away. I was amazed though how much of a difference it made just taking them out and soaking them in new oil. After that it ran ok, not fantastic, but it was definitely better than before. With the Kevlar set though, it is like a new bike. A buddy of mine has an RR, and he took it out before we changed the clutch, and then after and he was amazed too. He said before it just fealt weird, the throttle didn't seem to punch for him when he changed gears. Afterwards he said it's like the bike just came off the lot. He was amazed.
The test ride before....
Felt really clunky. And seemed like there was no room left for cable adjustments either. Shifts were bad!

After...
Smooth shift operation. The clutch lever was engaging properly, at right about the perfect sweet spot. No cable adjustments needed.
Rides and shifts soooo much better!

I think the hardest part was removing those last couple of plates! haahahaa Oh, that and hooking up the cam angle sensor plug thing. In such an awkward position to plug it back in.
I think I'm going to order a set for mine now. krobberts, you ready for another garage day?
solomotoparts has them....
barnett=$137.95
EBC=$77.95

Old 03-26-2008, 11:17 AM

haha!! I am always ready for another garage day. I think any day that is not riding weather should be a garage day! And yes, you are correct those last couple of plates were a biznatch. That, and getting those damn screws back in on the front part of the plastic. Stupid things didn't want to line up.