F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

I'm going to attempt to remove the real wheel

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 02:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm going to attempt to remove the real wheel

I got a fat screw in my rear tire. I was going to ride the bike to a shop and have them take the wheel off and change the tire. But not many shops around me do that and I don't want to go anywhere far (I don't have a truck to transport the bike). So I have been browsing the forum here and at cbrworld.net for tips on how to remove the rear wheel.

When I first got the screw in my tire I thought, I will just pay for somebody to take my wheel off and have them do it. Because I really don't want to do something wrong and end up getting hurt later on when I put the wheel back on my bike. But reading all these posts it seems like I can learn to do it someday.

So with that said, to those people who remove their rear wheel with ease, can you help with some tips? Would this thread at BARF help me with my f4i http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/fo...threadid=62961? I also read this one https://cbrforum.com/m_177196/tm.htm. The service manual doesn't even say you have to remove the rear brake caliper.

Old 06-25-2007, 03:52 AM
Default RE: I'm going to attempt to remove the real wheel

its pretty simple, just take the axel nut off, pull the axel out while sliding the wheel forward enough to pull the chain off the sprocket, then pull it down/back to get the rotor out of the caliper

lay the wheel on the ground with the sprocket side facing up and pull straight up on the sprocket, it will come out leaving a bunch of little rubber pieces, keep all that, don't take it to the dealer.

takes maybe 5 minutes if your kinda movin slow, assuming you've already got the tools and have the bike on a stand

its really just unbelievably easy, its just insane that so many people take their bikes to a dealer and pay to have the wheels taken off along with paying for tires and for the changing.
I also think its nuts how my local dealer charges for 30 minutes worth of work to pull each wheel off, so they get around $30 to take that little nut off and pop the wheel out. A good mechanic with power/air tools should be able to take a wheel off and put it back on (not counting mount/balance tire of course) in about 3 minutes taking maybe 30 minutes to remove 2 wheels, change the tires and put the wheels back on but my dealer always charges 2 hours labor for that. The worst thing is people pay for that ****

just cause I'm bored and workin on my other bike tonight, I just went and pulled the wheel off my F4i after seeing this thread
took less than 3 minutes and thats just cause my axel nut was way too tight (not sure why or how that happened)

I just wish my SV's rear wheel would go in and out so fast, its got funky spacers and a mess of a rear brake caliper mounting contraption

l

Old 06-25-2007, 04:21 AM

yea not a bad job i never worked on a bike till i got mine but then i saw how much the dealership wanted to charge for everything and so i just started doing my own stuff and its really not that bad

Old 06-26-2007, 12:19 AM

Damn that was easy! Took the wheel off in about 3 minutes too.