F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

ignoring the cctl noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 12:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ignoring the cctl noise

do you guys think its bad to ignore the cctl noise. i mean if it dont care about the noise will it in turn hurt the gears inside the engine?

[IMG]local://upfiles/4366/FD1C239EE1E34D349B3683FA5FF813CD.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-10-2006, 03:55 PM
Default RE: ignoring the cctl noise

It comes in contact only with the Cam Chain

There is no way it'll "hurt the gears inside the engine"

Old 04-10-2006, 05:33 PM

ok it wont hurt the gears in the engine but will it damage anything? from what ive been reading even after replacing the piece it will again make the same noise after a while if this is just something to get used to no prob i just want to make sure no long term damage will be done to the bike in any way?

Old 04-10-2006, 05:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

depends...
the noise is the pin in the cctl rattling...but contact with the cam chain is still good and there's still tension there.
however, if the noise is because the cctl is no longer putting tension on the cam chain then the cam chain can (not saying it will but can) jump a tooth.
what to do? get another cctl, mod the old one, or get an APE like many people.

Old 04-10-2006, 06:25 PM

ORIGINAL: Tahoe SC

depends...
the noise is the pin in the cctl rattling...but contact with the cam chain is still good and there's still tension there.
however, if the noise is because the cctl is no longer putting tension on the cam chain then the cam chain can (not saying it will but can) jump a tooth.
what to do? get another cctl, mod the old one, or get an APE like many people.
hmm so im guessing the only way to tell what the noise specifically is, is to open it up and see has anyone heard of a total failure which causes the engine damage or most of the time is it just the pin making the noise?

Old 04-10-2006, 07:53 PM

I've read somewhere that the noise really isn't anything to worry about. It is just part of the F4i character. And to think, mags and people say that Honda's don't have a personality

Old 04-10-2006, 09:49 PM

only bike that i know of where the cctl actually failed and the cam chain skipped, leading to all types of issues was on an RC-51.
the other case, the cctl was defective and the bike ate it hard after like 50 miles!!! the dealer told the dude it was his cctl...but at 50 miles...and then offered to put in an APE tensioner. due to the low mileage, i think something else was going on that they didn't share.

if you ever get into the engine, you'll see that the cam chain is fairly tight even without the cctl. as far as the noise, it could be the cctl pin vibrating back and forth (right to left) in the shaft and not in and out (which would mean no tension at times). more often than not it's this and not due to the lack of tension. but the only way to know is to do the cctl mod.

Old 04-10-2006, 10:12 PM

very cool thanx for the info i was just lookin for some piece of ,ind that my bikes not gonna seize up or explode underneath me haha

Old 04-10-2006, 10:38 PM

you gots an 02...how many miles mang?
i swapped first out at 22K...and another one at...28K...but only because someone gave it to me for real cheap.
i have 38K in this third one...first one wasn't even bad...second one was worse than the first but still not bad...this third one isn't bad either...

Old 04-11-2006, 10:16 AM

hey tahoe. did you replace it with the ape or stock cctl

Quick Reply: ignoring the cctl noise