F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

idling is too high

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 04:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Incognito
As for cleaning the throttle valves on the throttle bodies, there are multiple products out there for that. However, the manual states that the intakes are coated with molybdenum, and that commercial carb cleaners may harm this coating. That said, I used rubbing alcohol and cotton swabs to clean mine. It's an excellent degreaser, but very mild.
fantastic. i will use that!

Old 10-01-2009, 04:29 PM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BTW, have you checked the fuel presure regulator?

Old 10-01-2009, 04:32 PM

BTW, have you checked the fuel presure regulator?
how do i check that?

Old 10-01-2009, 04:35 PM

If I'm not mistaken, if there's fuel coming out the vaccum hose, it's faulty.

Old 10-01-2009, 05:20 PM

You could also try using electric parts cleaner, it's more mild than carb cleaner, or use a little gasoline. I usually hold them open with my hand and scrub the area where the butterfly contacts the throttle body with a toothbrush. Just don't let too much of your cleaner get down inside the engine. It will run funky when you first start it for a few seconds but wont hurt anything.

It is strange that that screw you were adjusting moves those little plungers. The screw on the right in your pic must adjust those plungers and the one on the left adjusts the main throttle. To be honest I've never touched those things on my bike so I'm not too firmiliar.

Maybe try backing the other screw out, or that brass screw in the middle, I'm not sure and my manual doens't give a great explaination.

I wouldn't think the pressure regulator has anything to do with this. That would cause a loss of power and/or no starting at all. But it's worth checking while it's apart because they are a common problem on these bikes. And yes, if there's fuel coming out of the vacuum line then it's bad.

Maybe I should ask how the bike started doing this? That could help in the diagnosis... I wouldn't go messing around with those idle adjustment's too much if the bike just started doing this all on it's own.

Old 10-01-2009, 05:34 PM

If I'm not mistaken, if there's fuel coming out the vaccum hose, it's faulty.
One time when working on this issue, I've noticed small leak comming from this hose. Is that bad?

Attached Thumbnails idling is too high-1001091505.jpg  
Old 10-01-2009, 05:42 PM
Default Pictures

Ok guys. I've taken some pix, so hopefully they will help us out here.
The pix with green eclipses is showing where I did the adjustment to suppress the idle a bit. It worked only for like 15 seconds.
The two similar looking pix show the mini-pistons (I dont know the specific name for them) before and after adjustment. To my understanding they adjust the idling. From my observation, the pistons would move only for 5-half turns of the idle ****. They would never go all the way in when turning the **** counter-clockwise (which supposed to decrease the idling). They all move together but I could only get them to move not more than .1 inch in or out. I hope this helps.

Attached Thumbnails idling is too high-1001091503.jpg   idling is too high-1001091504.jpg   idling is too high-1001091512.jpg   idling is too high-1001091513.jpg  

Last edited by mbison83; 10-01-2009 at 05:52 PM.
Old 10-01-2009, 05:46 PM

That hose comes from your fuel tank, and is attached to the FPR. On the opposite side of the FPR, the smaller hose, is the vaccum line. No fuel should come out of that one.

Old 10-01-2009, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by ndf4i
You could also try using electric parts cleaner, it's more mild than carb cleaner, or use a little gasoline. I usually hold them open with my hand and scrub the area where the butterfly contacts the throttle body with a toothbrush. Just don't let too much of your cleaner get down inside the engine. It will run funky when you first start it for a few seconds but wont hurt anything.
I cleaned the area with a q-tip and rubbing alcohol, but I think I should use a toothbrush for that. It's not super-dirty if you ask me.

It is strange that that screw you were adjusting moves those little plungers. The screw on the right in your pic must adjust those plungers and the one on the left adjusts the main throttle. To be honest I've never touched those things on my bike so I'm not too firmiliar.

Maybe try backing the other screw out, or that brass screw in the middle, I'm not sure and my manual doens't give a great explaination.
The little plungers move when I adjust the idle ****, not the screws.

I wouldn't think the pressure regulator has anything to do with this. That would cause a loss of power and/or no starting at all. But it's worth checking while it's apart because they are a common problem on these bikes. And yes, if there's fuel coming out of the vacuum line then it's bad.

Maybe I should ask how the bike started doing this? That could help in the diagnosis... I wouldn't go messing around with those idle adjustment's too much if the bike just started doing this all on it's own.
Well.. I think it would be fair to say that it did it ever since I bought it used. I was not familiar with bikes at all at the time, so it didnt bother me until recently. I bought a PCIII hoping that it would fix it, but it didnt. Now I'm looking to sell it. I think the previous owner has something to do with the bike running the way it is rightnow. I wish he was more open about it.
Oh well.. I'm moving on hoping to find the problem. I've already done some work on this bike and saved bunch of money.

Old 10-01-2009, 05:51 PM

That hose comes from your fuel tank, and is attached to the FPR. On the opposite side of the FPR, the smaller hose, is the vaccum line. No fuel should come out of that one.

nothing is coming out from the smaller hose. just the one that is circled. thats fine, right? it's not doing it anymore.

Quick Reply: idling is too high