F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

idling is too high

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 07:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

UPDATE: Ok. So I did replace the throttle body assembly with a wax unit already on it, and it did not fix the idling even after warm up it hits 3.5k. Should I reset the ECU or something? because I'm out of ideas now. The idle **** is able to increase the idling but it can't decrease it below 3k. I did notice better engine response though, but that's about it.. I'm so confused now..

edit: My bike has a micron exhaust, and I've noticed the o2 sensor eliminator plugged in. I remember the previous owner saying to buy a new one. How do I check if the o2 sensor eliminator works properly? Would that cause the bike idling all weird? I do not get the FI light though.

Last edited by mbison83; 10-02-2009 at 07:50 PM.
Old 10-02-2009, 10:16 PM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think the CO2 sensor would cause this. Tried doing a search on here & the net. You've got a pretty unique problem. Only things I came up with were vacuum hose leak/disconnected, PAIR hose leak/disco, and the throttle position sensor (n/a). May try re-posting in General Tech.
Are you sure your tachometer is reading correctly?

Old 10-03-2009, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by Incognito
I don't think the CO2 sensor would cause this. Tried doing a search on here & the net. You've got a pretty unique problem. Only things I came up with were vacuum hose leak/disconnected, PAIR hose leak/disco, and the throttle position sensor (n/a). May try re-posting in General Tech.
Are you sure your tachometer is reading correctly?
I'm pretty sure the tach is not at fault, since the bike sounds way too high while idling. I just checked it and it came up to 3k without dropping when warmed up. Which hoses are you talking about? My guess is that perhaps the water is not getting from the water pump into the wax unit to make the valves shut.

Old 10-03-2009, 02:17 AM

I was thinking that you have a CA model, do you still have the evaporative canister? There are four vacuum lines attached to a five way connector which in turn runs a hose attached to the evap can. If it's been removed, then I'm wondering if that vacumm line has been stopped. Just throwing out suggestions.
Checking the supply & return hoses for proper flow on the WAX ought to be pretty easy.

Old 10-03-2009, 02:22 AM
Thumbs up

I was thinking that you have a CA model, do you still have the evaporative canister? There are four vacuum lines attached to a five way connector which in turn runs a hose attached to the evap can. If it's been removed, then I'm wondering if that vacumm line has been stopped. Just throwing out suggestions.
Checking the supply & return hoses for proper flow on the WAX ought to be pretty easy.
I'm going to check it. Thanks!

Old 10-03-2009, 06:03 PM

Ok. So I checked stuff today and as I've looked at the manual I've realized I connected the two hoses that go to the wax unit wrong. I'm not quite sure what are the names of the devices that they connect to, but all I did was to disconnect them at the wax unit and switch them up. Anyway, that did not work lol I've turned the bike on, looked underneath and pushed the starter valves in a bit. This immediately caused the idling to drop. I guess the problem is that the valves do not close when they supposed to. I'd hate to believe that the 2nd wax unit that I got with the throttle body is faulty. Is the wax unit solely responsible for moving the valves? The idle **** is unscrewed to give the wax unit opportunity to act, but it does not. What else could be wrong? Perhaps the coolant does not get to it or what not. Any way to check if the wax unit works properly while on the bike? It is a PAIN in the butt to take the throttle bodies off. I'm stucked here. I need your help guys!

Old 10-03-2009, 09:27 PM

When you originally removed these two hoses, was there coolant in them? You stated that there was a light blue residue inside. If it were me, I'd disconnect one of the hoses and start the engine. There should be coolant coming out of either the hose, or the wax unit, once the engine begins to warm. Careful not to get any on any painted surfaces. If no fluid comes out, then something's plugged up. Along those lines, inspect the coolant level on the bike.

Old 10-04-2009, 02:52 AM

When you originally removed these two hoses, was there coolant in them? You stated that there was a light blue residue inside. If it were me, I'd disconnect one of the hoses and start the engine. There should be coolant coming out of either the hose, or the wax unit, once the engine begins to warm. Careful not to get any on any painted surfaces. If no fluid comes out, then something's plugged up. Along those lines, inspect the coolant level on the bike.
I've replaced the whole throttle body assembly with its original wax unit being there. That wax unit does not seem to have been clogged. When I took the hoses off the unit, the coolant was coming out of one of them, but not much of anything was coming out of the other one. Would you think that the starter valves need synchronization? Would that help?

Old 10-04-2009, 04:16 AM

When I took the hoses off the unit, the coolant was coming out of one of them, but not much of anything was coming out of the other one.
That might be your problem right there. What that would indicate is that coolant is not circulating through the wax, as it should. There should be coolant in both tubes. Follow the dry tube from where it comes from and see if it clogged. I believe it goes to the thermostat housing. Does that make sense, in order for it to work, it goes in one tube & out the other, lol.
As for the starter valves, they're not the culprit, because you replaced the TB and still have the same problem. The same with the wax unit, you've replaced it, yet it still does the same thing, so the issue has to be elsewhere.

Last edited by Incognito; 10-04-2009 at 04:18 AM.
Old 10-04-2009, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by mbison83
Ok. So I checked stuff today and as I've looked at the manual I've realized I connected the two hoses that go to the wax unit wrong. I'm not quite sure what are the names of the devices that they connect to, but all I did was to disconnect them at the wax unit and switch them up. Anyway, that did not work lol I've turned the bike on, looked underneath and pushed the starter valves in a bit. This immediately caused the idling to drop. I guess the problem is that the valves do not close when they supposed to. I'd hate to believe that the 2nd wax unit that I got with the throttle body is faulty. Is the wax unit solely responsible for moving the valves? The idle **** is unscrewed to give the wax unit opportunity to act, but it does not. What else could be wrong? Perhaps the coolant does not get to it or what not. Any way to check if the wax unit works properly while on the bike? It is a PAIN in the butt to take the throttle bodies off. I'm stucked here. I need your help guys!
Parts aren't always perfect. I once got a thermo for the car and had it replaced twice b/c of crap manufacturing....same with an adapter for my phone....nowadays, things are cheap crap!

Quick Reply: idling is too high