F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

idle at startup

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 12:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: idle at startup

My '01 F4i has been steadily increasing the fast idle speed. It was idling cold at 3400 RPM when the temp got below 40F. This was crazy. A Honda mechanic said that the wax element that controls fast idle on these bikes wears out and needs to be replaced. I replaced the wax element (you have to take off the throttle body to get to it) and it helped some, now in the cold the bike starts out at around 2400 RPM, then goes up to about 3,000, then returns to normal idle as the bike warms up. This is still too fast. The manual says don't touch the adjustment screw and it appears to be sealed in place, but that will be the next step.
Steve

Old 01-02-2008, 03:22 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would recommend waiting until the weather breaks to do anything else about the fast idle. Only thing that I'd recommend IF you were going to do anything about it, is the synch the throttle bodies, and if you're past 16k have the valve specs checked andadjusted if they're out of spec. Otherwise it seems normal to me, especially without knowing things like ambient temperature, humidity and barometric pressure (altitude pressure).

Old 01-02-2008, 04:09 PM

ORIGINAL: thirdgenlxi

Guys it's winter time, it's cold out, it's gonna idle high when it's cold just like every other gasoline engine on the road (diesels don't require a fast idle.... they go right to their normal idle when started cold). Exact same way your car does when it's cold. It does it to help warm the motor up faster, and keep it running smooth. If it didn't run rich when cold it would stall out or run like crap.

It will fast idle at different speeds depending on how cold it is. If not just kinda cool/mildly cold it'll fast idle at usually 2000-2200 or so. When it's really cold (below freezing) it'll go up to 2500-3000 or so. Completely normal, don't worry about it... just let it run and warm up for a few minutes (like you should anyways) and it'll drop right back down to normal idle

And yes a PCIII can have some effect on the cold idle

+1

mine idles at about the same, did freak me out a little when i first bought it and didn't know though!

Old 01-02-2008, 04:52 PM

ORIGINAL: Jaybird180

I would recommend waiting until the weather breaks to do anything else about the fast idle. Only thing that I'd recommend IF you were going to do anything about it, is the synch the throttle bodies, and if you're past 16k have the valve specs checked andadjusted if they're out of spec. Otherwise it seems normal to me, especially without knowing things like ambient temperature, humidity and barometric pressure (altitude pressure).
Thanks for the comment. Temp. 38, sea level, 92% humidity. Valve clearances in spec. Am I wrong in thinking that syching the throttle bodies would only increase the idle speed if they are out of synch now? But I know I should do it anyhow. Replacing the wax element did make some improvement so I'm inclined to leave it alone for the present, but I still think 3,000 is too high for fast idle.
Steve