F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Poor Idle on Startup, Deeper Sound, Reving Without Twisting Throttle...

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 05:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poor Idle on Startup, Deeper Sound, Reving Without Twisting Throttle...

Roughly two weeks ago I removed my tank in order to replace the air filter, and install an APE manual CCTL on my 2002 F4i. When doing so, I unknowingly removed one of the hoses. It is a 2" in length hose, connected to a plastic elbow, then connected to a long length of hose running towards the engine [Part 95005-80001-50M on the Fuel Tank Fiche]. I rode to school (20 minute drive). After class, I went to start up the bike, and I noticed it idle'd very low at first, and had a much more bass sounding tone to it. Also at red lights, the idle will blip up from 1300 to 1800, indicated on the tac. Also on startup there seems to be more white smoke than before. I am wondering the following:
[ul][*]What is this hose, could it be responsible for the poor performance, or could it be related to the CCTL?[*]Has anyone else had this problem (I've searched and found similar symptoms, most seeming to say they are caused by fouled plugs)?[*]How hard are plugs to replace? Is it something I should do myself?[*]Is there anything else I can check to diagnose?[/ul]
Thank you for your time, and yes, I plan to introduce myself in the new members section.

Old 06-03-2008, 06:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Poor Idle on Startup, Deeper Sound, Reving Without Twisting Throttle...

so did you plug the hose back and try?

Old 06-03-2008, 07:09 PM
Default RE: Poor Idle on Startup, Deeper Sound, Reving Without Twisting Throttle...

Throatier sounds, idle surges...these are symptoms of a disconnected vacuum line. Someone correct me if I'm wrong!

What is an "APE manual CCTL"?

Old 06-03-2008, 08:12 PM
WOT

The idle surge is a vacuum leak symptom... just reconnect the line. Check out bikebandit.com and search for your bike to get the schematic.

An "APE manual CCTL" replaces the stock came chain tensioner lifter (CCTL) to stop the rattle everyone has.

Old 06-03-2008, 10:56 PM

yep, vacuum leak that is....

Old 06-08-2008, 12:43 PM

Thank you all for your replies. I traced the vacuum tubes and they all appear to be connected. The tube off the tank that I noted seems to just be the overfill tube, and after I reconnected that the bike still runs poorly. I've posted pictures and videos of the issue, you can hear the odd rev'ing in the videos and the deeper sound. The picture with a red circle in is the area I'm looking at now. Is there supposed to be just two empty holes there?

Link to Video and Pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/Luke.Sav...002HondaCBRF4i

Thank you again for your time.

Old 06-08-2008, 04:39 PM

The initial startup with the FI light on is normal. And the "hose that originally came off" looks to be just a drain hose, but I'm not 100% sure.

I'm guessing if you take it in to a shop they'd find the issue fairly quickly, and its probably something small (ie, wouldn't cost you much).