F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

how do I change the plugs?? What type?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 06:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how do I change the plugs?? What type?

Hi Guys, I have recently bought a 2001 f4i with 70,000klms on it and would like to change the plugs. As I am unfamiliar with this model and have only basic mechanical skills can I / should I, try to change them my self? How hard is it and what is the process? I dont want to damage anything, but keen to have a try myself..so any help/ guidance / hints would be appreciated. Eg are the screws/ nuts that hold the rear ram air tubes to the edge of the tank single use? What plugs are required?
Thanks for any help.
Paul

Old 04-07-2014, 06:08 PM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Hopefully by nobody answering you've searched and found the answer. Its in the owners manual and its posted online. Type of plug is easy to lookup, don't know it offhand. Changing the plugs is fairly easy, just unbolt the radiator and move it out of the way [no need to remove the coolant or rad hoses]. Just be carefull putting the new plugs in- hand tight before using a wrench!

Old 04-07-2014, 09:27 PM

to get the spark plugs at a very good price i recommend rockauto.com , i wanna say its like imr9-ch or something to that effect. i bought some for my bike but havent installed them yet, im in the same boat as you and dont really know how to put them in, just by looking it seems that the frame going across right on top of the holes they go in is in the way but i have a mechanic friend who is going to assist me in doing this when we get the time. if you do it and find a trick let me know and if i do it ill let you know how i do it. hopefully in the mean time if neither of us has done it someone can comment and help us out

Old 04-08-2014, 04:11 AM
Default changing plugs on my f4i

Thanks guys for your replies. Much appreciated. As my bike did not come with an owners manual I ordered a Clymer workshop manual . So I should be able to do it. I found the type of plugs needed also. So thanks for the help.
I have ordered a new K&N air filter, fitted Hel braided lines new grips , levers etc. So its good to go.

Knoffie

Old 04-08-2014, 08:08 AM

good deal, best of luck, also i found a video on youtube that will walk you through the process of changing them out, its very simple man, im going to do mine this weekend

Old 04-08-2014, 03:56 PM
Welcome Crew Technician
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Service manual

http://www.stephygee.com/f4imanual.zip

You need a ratchet. You need a spark plug socket. You need a Uni joint so you can flex the socket down in there. I use 6 inch (or 3 depending) extension to a u joint to the socket and get it down in by hand. Then work it out with the ratchet. Its not terribly hard, just tanks some faningling to get to them and getting them out.

NGK IMR9A-9H is the plug from Honda.