F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Hot Weather Tires

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 05:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hot Weather Tires

I'm from Michigan and its getting time to put new tires on my bike so here the deal. I'm moving to Central florida in September and wanted to get some insight on how the hot weather and pavement affect tire wear. I was figuring I would maybe go with a pirelli diablo strada, something made for more miles since a softer tire might get to hot and wear faster there. Any Florida or hot weather residents please respond.

Any Suggestions before I buy????!!!

Old 08-11-2006, 05:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hot Weather Tires

Pirelli haha no i dont no anything about tires really but i had a metzler on my rear and it did good but then i bought a couple of shinkos and they seem to wear out fast, but i also did a few burnouts and wheelies<i guess that wears ur tires a lil, but crashed it before i needed tires again so didnt get to experiment with more.

**NOTE: i didnt crash it doin wheelies or anything stupid.

Old 08-11-2006, 08:49 PM

Your riding is going to determine wear more than the temp of the tarmac.

The strada has been recommended to me as a good street/commuter tire. If you don't see yourself running too many twisties in FL or you are a conservative rider, then I would give them a try.

I like Pilot Powers and they work well for anything from fall to mid-summer. I lean quite a bit though so I like the added traction. I also like how the Powers Warm up fast. But you also pay for it with a mileage difference. I get about 3-4K from a Pilot Power rear tire.

Old 08-12-2006, 05:55 PM

i have 3k on my set of pilot powers right now and the rear still has 5/32nd's left after i broke out the tire gauge. . i figure that is enough for me to tour up to ny and then take the blue ridge down to deals gap on the way home and get another set or at least a new rear. i have pilot powers on my f4i since december and everythign is so much better than the stock dunlops that came with the bike. oh yea i live in orlando fl.

there really aren't much in the terms of twisties in fl you really have to take a ride to get to them but i mostly just use my bike for commuting. lol the twisty that i encounter the most everyday is the 360 deg on ramp onto I4 where i get low enough to drag the pegs (ended taking feelers off)