F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Hints or Tips for changing engine?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 05:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hints or Tips for changing engine?

Hey everyone,

I got an 2001 F4i that has a crack in the bottom block. I ended up coming across a motor with low mileage for a great price from a 2002. My bike runs fine now, it just weeps oil and it drives me insane, so I bought the new motor. I'm looking to swap it in a couple weeks with the good engine. I was just wondering if anyone has done this and if there is any good hints or tips for removal and installation of the engine? I have front/rear stands, as well as an engine crane. The bike is currently lowered and I am also looking to raise it to stock height while I have the engine out. It came with the stock parts to raise it back up (kickstand and stock dogbone). Thanks for any input.

Old 09-26-2009, 06:35 PM
October 2011 ROTM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never changed the motor on my F4i, although I have changed my fair share of motors in cars and my advise is to take pictures and a lot of them. I would also mark the wires with masking tape so you know what goes where.

Old 09-30-2009, 11:59 PM
Talking tips

The best advice I can give you is to buy some masking tape, and small plastic zip lock bags. Put the bolts of each section that you take off in it's own plastic bag. One for tail section, one for left fairing, one for right fairing, & etc..Make sure you write on the bags so you know what is what for later on. As for the bolts use the masking tape mark the bolt starting with 1, and then you also mark the section where you got the bolt from with the same number. You also label the wire harness and any other connections the same way so that later on all you have to do is match up the numbers. Don't forget to number the vacuum hoses also the same way. Every so often during the tear down take pictures on how things are run (hoses, wiring, etc..) so you can reference to the pictures later incase you forget something. I know that labelling everything you take off is time consuming, but when I did this there was no guessing on which bolt went where. If you search online for the honda cbr f4i shop manual there are places where you can get a free copy. Download it it will help. I unfortunately do not know the link. The F4I shop manual would be a good deal for a download just incase you wanna check anything. Let me know how things work out. GOOD LUCK I hope this helps

Old 10-04-2009, 02:37 AM

how about a tool to remove the motor mount bolts? Ive herd of guys cutting notches out of a socket to fit the notches on the bolt.