CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Changing Frames Tips

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 05:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Changing Frames Tips

I'm about to start transferring everything from one frame to another frame. When I say everything I mean complete bike.

The only thing close to changing engines I have ever done was a 49cc Honda Ruckus which was very simple. Doing a motorcycle I know a whole lot more complex.

Just looking for some tips for easing any problems that I will come by. Things that I should be sure to do and not to do. Things to look for. Any general that could help. Thanks in advance.

Old 05-09-2011, 07:51 PM

Take pics of anything u r not sure of remembering how to put back...( like how to rout the wiring harness and where to plug up each plug) also pay attention to how u rout all the fuel lines and where all the bolts go that u take off( you can take a piece of cardboard and push the screws through it in relatio to were they came off the bike and lable it or use sandwich bags and lable them.

Old 05-10-2011, 04:52 PM

+1 for taking lots of pictures and using cardboard to stick bolts through!!!

while you have everything apart...
grease all things possible (ex. swingarm pivot), inspect wiring for cracks/worn-out/rust, use dielectric grease on charging system connections, new fork oil, maybe new springs if you have the $, clean/sync the carbs, clean airbox, new wheel bearings(if old ones not perfect), new stearing stem bearings, lube cables, etc.

Old 05-10-2011, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by daddywilson
Take pics of anything u r not sure of remembering how to put back...( like how to rout the wiring harness and where to plug up each plug) also pay attention to how u rout all the fuel lines and where all the bolts go that u take off( you can take a piece of cardboard and push the screws through it in relatio to were they came off the bike and lable it or use sandwich bags and lable them.
+1 for pics ... then post em up for everybody to marvel at lol ...

Originally Posted by Bently600
+1 for taking lots of pictures and using cardboard to stick bolts through!!!

while you have everything apart...
grease all things possible (ex. swingarm pivot), inspect wiring for cracks/worn-out/rust, use dielectric grease on charging system connections, new fork oil, maybe new springs if you have the $, clean/sync the carbs, clean airbox, new wheel bearings(if old ones not perfect), new stearing stem bearings, lube cables, etc.
And to both of ya, .... I never EVER EVER EVARR woulda thought of something like that cardboard trick !!! .... that's freaking awesome !!!!!!!!! .... GENIUS!!!!!!! ... ... (P.S. btw ... totally no homo with the weird lil colors back there <---)

Old 05-11-2011, 11:35 PM

Thanks for the tips guys.

So far I've taken all the fairings, gas tank, head and tail light off. All the easy stuff.

I was wondering if there were any guides on carb synchronizing. I downloaded the PDF file of the service manual and it doesn't really go into depth. It just looks like someone is holding some sort of box with 4 wires connected to all the carbs. If there's a guide and someone can fill me in, that would be great.

Anyways, heres a few pictures of what I have done so far.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/aaxjosh/5711780887/http://www.flickr.com/photos/aaxjosh/5711782335/http://www.flickr.com/photos/aaxjosh/5712338628/
Also, with the swing are, it seems like it will just bolt off and then bolt right back up to the frame. Am I wrong about this or what?

And if anyone has any suggestions as to where to start from here, it would be much appreciated too. Thanks in advance.

Old 05-12-2011, 04:34 PM

Swing arm mounts to frame - yes. Very easy to swap.

I did an engine swap on my F2 this past winter and I did things in the order I wanted to (not necessarily what the manual suggests)... BUT i did have and I READ the manual before doing this (I would recommend reading first). all of the following is in my opinion and may not be perfectly correct (read: don't blame me if you screw up)

next steps:
drain oil + drain coolant
remove radiator (can leave hoses attached to engine (or not, whatever)
remove airbox
remove carbs
remove wiring from engine (but leave in frame for now) but LABEL where on the engine each wire goes.
leave swing arm on bike for now (remove after engine)

What kind of stand/jack are you going to use to support the engine/bike during this?

Old 05-12-2011, 10:07 PM

I'll be using a small roller floor jack. Will that work okay or is there something else I could use? (besides having a lift and what not)

But that's a good start for me. I'll start doing that stuff tomorrow and hopefully knock this out over the weekend.

One more question about the the front forks +tire + rotor , etc is this all bolt off and bolt up too? It seems it would be.

Thanks

Old 05-13-2011, 12:33 AM

Some people like using cardboard and what not. I find that difficult to organize sometimes, and you run the risk of it being knocked over.

My favorite technique is to either put the bolt back where it came from if you can. If you can't, I use magnetic dishes, and use one dish per task (one for fairings, etc etc).

Old 05-13-2011, 09:45 AM

Yeah thats what I've been doing. I have just been putting the bolts back where they are or leaving them in the frame. Or if they wont stay that way, I take some tape and wrap the other side of the bolt so that it will stay in whatever it is its supposed to and not slide out.

Old 05-13-2011, 10:38 AM

This is essentially what I just did. I tore everything down, and am still rebuilding. Definitely make bolt boards out of cardboard. Just draw a simple sketch of all the holes, and push the bolts through.

Although, since you said you are swapping frames, just putting the bolts in the correct areas on the other frame would work too. It's sort of a pain, and the other method would probably save a few minutes of time, but either way will save you a lot of hassle.

ALSO. TAKE. PICTURES. OF. ALL. WIRING. ROUTING. This is where I failed.

Good luck. You can do it. Just pay close attention.

Quick Reply: Changing Frames Tips