Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HID Question.

ORIGINAL: halik008

ORIGINAL: sixhundredrr

ORIGINAL: jutsin

I'm reffeing to the shield in the headlight's reflective bowl for the halogen headlight that covers the front part of the buld. That's clear indication of low beam ligth. High beams do not have that shielding cap.
which contradicts what you previously said
^^ cause those are HIGH beam HID's not LOW beam HID's ....big difference.....
his cl is fitted with factory equipped low-beam hids w/o projectors, as is blue fox's maxima, as is sixhundredrr's subaru. as far as scattering light everywhere and getting tickets my low beam hid has an extremely well defined cut off point, doesn't scatter light everywhere, and i have never been pulled over for/ or received a ticket for them when already pulled over for another violation.
lol it contradics nothing. The big refelector bowl is tranditional halogen low beam. The small, round, smooth reflector bowl is HID high beam.

i know pleanty of people who got pulled over and tickete for non OEM hids that blinded cops going the other way.

your hids cannot have any cut off point as it has no projectors. what you seeing is limitation of your reflective bowl....so it's the drop in light intensity due to the bowls edge. Which is still strong enuff to blind other drivers none the less
When you don't aim your lights properly, you get pulled over. My STI would blind me if I put it on a lift and put it up in the air because the headlight intensity was aimed toward the ground but still provided the advantage. When I installed HID's on my Prelude, I had to aim them properly downward a little more than usual.

The low beams on the CL are HID and the highs are not. The high beams are those center half spheres.

What year/model BMW do you own? Bi Xenon does not mean your high beams are xenon. I worked on BMW's for 5 years and they do not come with xenon hi beams.
e46 coupe.

google it..... they do....just not all of them
You should post a picture of your whip with both beams on. I know that bi-xenons were not standard equipment on all e46's but your assertions that they are HID high beams will be proven by a picture.
correct bi-xenon HID's were option on E46.....02 and later at that.

Heh i'll consider taking picture once it get warner out. Its like 15*F outside and im not going out there just to take a damn pic lol :P
I just thought it would be funny to make this post even longer...

Old 03-17-2008, 03:05 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: KidCr3nshaw

ORIGINAL: jutsin

I'm reffeing to the shield in the headlight's reflective bowl for the halogen headlight that covers the front part of the buld. That's clear indication of low beam ligth. High beams do not have that shielding cap.
which contradicts what you previously said
^^ cause those are HIGH beam HID's not LOW beam HID's ....big difference.....
his cl is fitted with factory equipped low-beam hids w/o projectors, as is blue fox's maxima, as is sixhundredrr's subaru. as far as scattering light everywhere and getting tickets my low beam hid has an extremely well defined cut off point, doesn't scatter light everywhere, and i have never been pulled over for/ or received a ticket for them when already pulled over for another violation.
lol it contradics nothing. The big refelector bowl is tranditional halogen low beam. The small, round, smooth reflector bowl is HID high beam.

i know pleanty of people who got pulled over and tickete for non OEM hids that blinded cops going the other way.

your hids cannot have any cut off point as it has no projectors. what you seeing is limitation of your reflective bowl....so it's the drop in light intensity due to the bowls edge. Which is still strong enuff to blind other drivers none the less
When you don't aim your lights properly, you get pulled over. My STI would blind me if I put it on a lift and put it up in the air because the headlight intensity was aimed toward the ground but still provided the advantage. When I installed HID's on my Prelude, I had to aim them properly downward a little more than usual.

The low beams on the CL are HID and the highs are not. The high beams are those center half spheres.

What year/model BMW do you own? Bi Xenon does not mean your high beams are xenon. I worked on BMW's for 5 years and they do not come with xenon hi beams.
e46 coupe.

google it..... they do....just not all of them
You should post a picture of your whip with both beams on. I know that bi-xenons were not standard equipment on all e46's but your assertions that they are HID high beams will be proven by a picture.
correct bi-xenon HID's were option on E46.....02 and later at that.

Heh i'll consider taking picture once it get warner out. Its like 15*F outside and im not going out there just to take a damn pic lol :P
I just thought it would be funny to make this post even longer...

EDIT: Whoops. this one was an accident...

Old 03-17-2008, 04:20 PM

you need projector lenses to correctly run an HID setup without glare. Yes you can do this without a projector, but the glare is not directed towards a center, so it escapes and goes everywhere. I guess on a bike, glare would be ok cause people would see you, but to do a HID correctly you need to retrofit a projector in the lens. Those of you saying it doesnt matter are wrong. HIDs are not meant for regular headlights.

/thread

Old 03-17-2008, 06:04 PM

I guess I'll chime in to add to all your bickering. There are in fact OEM HID's that use reflector systms. Most of those use a differnt HID bulb too (I don't remebmer which one exactly but its either D2S or D2R, one is for reflector based setups and the other is for projectors). A projector lens is not needed if the reflector housing was made for an HID arc (which most OEM reflector based housings are not) which is why there is some glare associated with some vehicles that have HID's retroed into housings that were not supposed to have them.

IMHO, the F4i has a decent cutoff with halogen put in and also with HID's. There is a distinct cutoff where the light stops and doesn't really look all that much different from the light pattern on a wall with halogens in. I also experenced this when installing some HID's into an RSX that had H1's stock. The beam cut off was almost exactly the same as the cutoff with regular bulbs.

Now, if one were to do a correct retro, it would be much easier as most have noted to retrofit a set of projectors off another car that came with projectors as no one would be willing to shell out the money to engineer a reflector that would work in the stock housing for a HID bulb. It is way easier to just throw some projectors in.

On the note of HID's being DOT approved, I would have to disagree with that statement. No aftermarket retrofit kit will ever be DOT aproved. The only aftermarket kits that are DOT aproved are the Sylvania, etc, big name brands that also supply their own housing to go with the bulb. If you ever noticed you have never seen a Sylvania HID kit that only came with ballasts and bulbs. I've had HID's for over 4 years and did my research back then.