F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

help with spitting oil and shooting flames

Old 03-28-2012, 12:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with spitting oil and shooting flames

need help bad. my 03 f4i is shooting oil out of the exhaust and shooting flames from time to time. ive talked to a few people about this uncommon problem but no one has an answer. i narrowed it down to rings which i do not think are bad do to there is oil and what ive heard is that you will throw a rod before rings go out.. #2- i think there are rubber grommets in the head right below the head of the valve to guide it and seal the oil which i may believe are letting oil by to the cylinder and just trying to fire and wont. the build up pressure when fires throws a flame.. #3 possible valve stuck open.......

it is an 03 with 9k miles and was stunted.

Please guys let me know so i can fix this. im tired of this bike sitting and cannot ride it. it drives me iiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnsssssssssaaaaaaaannnnnnneeeeeeee.

Thanks.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:26 AM

Idk the issue well enough or more info on your bike, but run a compression text, sounds like the cylinder for 1 isnt always firing, needing new plugs. 2, sounds like oil rings are shot.

3, if it is indeed valve guides. in some cases its just easer to buy a new head.

Old 03-28-2012, 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by F4I_Bob
Idk the issue well enough or more info on your bike, but run a compression text, sounds like the cylinder for 1 isnt always firing, needing new plugs. 2, sounds like oil rings are shot.

3, if it is indeed valve guides. in some cases its just easer to buy a new head.
well if my oil rings are shot wouldnt the top 2 compression rings still keep alot of oil getting by? like i mean the oil is spewing out where the flange connects to the mid pipe and it builds up. i loaded the bike up and it pored out of the muffler lol..... sigh

i replaced all coils and also the plugs twice with iridium plugs which i blew through the first set and the second. the harness has no impedance and has the most powerful spark. the 2 and 3 cyl have oil build up, the 1st and 4th are firing super clean....

im going to do a compression test tomorrow... so ill guess that ill know then...

i do not have alot of money to buy another head but i do know labor and if its just the $10 seals ill go ahead and do that...
how much does a new and used head run for???

Thanks for the input. ill keep updating

Last edited by TeamAeD1; 03-28-2012 at 01:19 AM.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:06 AM

update on the f4i,,,, took the motor out and apart.... the calve seals are junk along with my rings.... motor is going aside for a ultralight prerunner project in the near future.

Old 03-29-2012, 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by TeamAeD1
update on the f4i,,,, took the motor out and apart.... the calve seals are junk along with my rings.... motor is going aside for a ultralight prerunner project in the near future.
Dam bro sorry to hear that. im working on getting my hands on a second f4i motor, just as a spair.