F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

spitting problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 07:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spitting problem

I just recently purchased a 2003 honda cbr f4i. It has a two brothers racing pipe and a bunch of other non-important mods. When i go to take off in 1st quickly the bike acts like it is out of gas or that it doesnt have power anymore. It like spits for a couple seconds then has the power it is suppost to. If i let first gear out and just cruise slowly its fine but then if i throttle it back it takes a second then spits a little then finally gives me the power i want. if i pop the clutch so to speak and then roll the throttle it still spits a little. I am new to bikes and not really that familiar with what this problem could be. I tried adding some dry gas but that didnt fix the problem. If someone could tell me whats wrong or what to do that would be great. I also am in need of purchasing new tires... anyone know any good deals around on them?? Thanks ahead of time!

-Avery

Old 07-26-2007, 09:34 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: spitting problem

it's really hard to diagnose because...
1st gear on bikes...and in particular the f4i is very choppy...is this just the chop you're seeing? i say this because if this was like a gas issue, spark issue, or air issue...then it should affect it in some form at all gears, not just first.

how many miles on the bike? may be time for new plugs.
as for tires...there is no one good place...lots of places around....
i usually just go to www.ronayers.com

Old 07-26-2007, 09:43 AM
Official Welcome Crew Junkie

Sounds like the engine might be running lean due to 2 Bros. pipe.
Power Commander installed?
What otherengine mods are there?

Old 07-26-2007, 09:55 AM

almost sounds like its too rich even....sputtering out....cant handle the gas well until the revs get up higher..... i would try plugs, and also clean/check the air filter.

Old 07-26-2007, 12:24 PM

All the other modifications to the bike that i can see are visual... but then again i bought the bikeoff of someone else... so i dont knowexaclty what they did to it. I am the second owner. The bike has 5k on it for miles.and i didnt mention that its not just first gear. Like if i want to take off really fast then first gear sputters and then second gear does it too... but not as much as first. but by the time i get to 3rd itworks like normal It doesnt always do it... it just seem to do it when ppl in slow *** cars or minivans think they can beat the bike... then i try to romp on it and there is like no power for a second and its embarassing... or when i get on it, it sputters for a second before i actually get the power... either way it makes the bike/me look lame. haha
anyway i guess i can go check out the filter and spark plugs... i just didnt have any ideas

also would these tires be good or should i go for something higher end?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SHINK...QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks for all the help

-Avery

Old 07-26-2007, 12:36 PM

as for tires, do a search, i think i saw someone post a link for dunlops for $150 some store online sale.

Old 07-26-2007, 12:39 PM

Here's the link to the good deal on Dunlops:

Click Here

Old 07-26-2007, 12:59 PM

So what would be better... the dunlops or the ones on ebay that i linked to? Also anymore input on the Spitting problem??

Thanks all

-Avery

Old 07-26-2007, 01:28 PM

I have no experience with Shinko at all. Not sure if anyone really does lol. The Dunlops are decent, but haven't really heard anything about Shinko.

Old 07-26-2007, 01:34 PM

ok...better information...it could be the pipe. check the air filter, check the plugs...as usually just a slip shouldn't make the bike run as you've described.

i can't get on ebay from work...i recommend diablos, but i've also used 208s with good results...many will say otherwise...probably because they like to blame the equipment rather than themselves.

Quick Reply: spitting problem