F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Help-front harness connection problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 09:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help-front harness connection problem

On beutiful Sunday afternoon, while I was riding on curvy Rockcreek Pkwy, engine suddenly went dead.
Checking for fuses/battery...etc I gave up and towed it to my home and did searching in our forum. (no prime/no headlight).
Many threads point the problem to the front harness connection (green wire), so I wiggled the connector a bit, then engine fired up!

Is there any permanent fix to this other than wiggling?
I see no visible damage to the green wire and the connector seem clean.

Can I wire these wires together to bypass the connector?
Or any dielectric grease would be sufficient?

Thank you guys in advance. I'm so tired waiting for the tow truck today. I was 40 miles away from home and many towing companies wouldn't tow on Sunday.

Old 05-09-2011, 04:38 AM

You can try to clean it really well and put some dielectric grease on it and see if she does it again.
If not, you're all good.
If it happens again, then find some kind of connector box, or even OEM and rewire it to the new box.
Just don't make it a permanent connection, you never know when you're gonna need to remove the front fairing.

Old 05-09-2011, 09:03 AM

I had the same issue...had the connector apart about 6 times, each time it would only run a few seconds or until I start moving.

After getting annoyed that it kept losing connection, I ended up using a pair of needle nose pliers to put a very slight twist in the pin...enough to ensure a lasting connection, but not so much to prevent the harness from easily plugging in.

Old 05-09-2011, 09:31 AM

Hey xander, nice bike^^^^

OP, tell us how it goes.

Old 05-09-2011, 09:39 AM
October 2011 ROTM

Oh wow I remember those days with my F4i. Man it totally sucked when that happened. I did what Xander did and put a very slight twist in all the pins but I also zip tied the harness together because I noticed that the harness would pull apart EVER so slightly but that is all it needed to make the bike die. Put a zip tie around the harness so it couldn't do that and never had that issue again.

Old 05-09-2011, 10:37 AM

i spliced the green wire out side the harness, mine got hot in the harness and i figured that the electric grease was not going to be enough, so i cut it and spliced it out side the main harness and have never had trouble since. good luck, and that lil green wire seems to screw alot of us. ride safe!!!

Old 05-10-2011, 10:33 AM

Thanks guys! I had to think for a while what "twist slightly" meant. Duh. It was so obvious. I twisted a pin inside the connector and put some dielectric grease(what amount to put?) and zip-tied it. If this problem happens again then I will do wire-splicing as jdizzel suggested. Thx again!