F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Faulty Front Harness?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 01:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Faulty Front Harness?

I am lost on this one! When I last put my bike together, I put the key in and turned it to on. Went to hit the start button and got nothing. I thought that was really odd until I noticed the headlights weren't lit. Entered troubleshooting mode and found that the front main harness has to be loose in order for the stuff to work. If I click it fully in, it all goes dead!

Now, here is the problem... I left it loose thinking "what does it matter?". Well, just now when I went to full lock right the bike died. It took me a second to figure out why... that plug came undone completely!

This most likely will never happen when I am riding the bike... but I would like to figure out why this is happening! Any and all ideas would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Kev

Old 06-15-2011, 04:50 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Try a can of contact cleaner on the connection. You can get it at Radioshack. Just hose both sides real well, it'll dry fast and then try hooking it back up.

Ern

Old 06-17-2011, 01:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply Ern. I actually had some of that stuff already. I went to clean the harness just now and noticed that one of the corners is melted! Looks like that short must have caused the connection to get really hot. It has burnt away some of the plastic around that connection.

My idea is to cut the wire out of the harness at both ends and route it around the harness seperately. It looks like it is one of the green wires from the headlight that melted the harness. Not sure why it didn't blow a fuse...

Old 06-17-2011, 03:27 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like a plan, sometimes the old mk1 eyeballs are the best tool in the garage. ;-)
Ern