F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Grey Import / Parallel Import

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 07:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grey Import / Parallel Import

Hi, February this year I purchased a 2001 CBR F Sport, it has done only 3500 miles and had 1 owner from new. I absolutely love this bike, its great to ride, comfortable and is the sports bike I have always dreamt about.
However I do have some reservations that I need your opinions on and hoepfully put my mind at rest.

The bike is a grey import, the owner was in the RAF and whilst stationed in Germany he bought this bike benefiting from the armed forces no tax scheme, he then imported it to the UK re-regestering and now has a current UK V5 registeration document. I dont know much about Grey Imports and to be honest didnt really care as I love the bike and wanted it no matter. He told me the spec is as per the UK models and there is no difference, I told my insurance company and it also didnt affect my policy. Here are my questions :
1. I am told it is to UK spec, however I want to change the original exhaust (any suggestions to the best aftermarket can which wont affect the fuel/running and easy to fit). I noticed there is a some kind of sensor attached to the exhuast I think its the O2 sensor ? however I dont see these on the UK version ? Can I still fit an aftermarket sports can ?
2. It has been MOT'd so I am assuming any differences to the UK spec would have been picked up at the MOT, I am thinking headlights etc. So it must be UK spec the speedometer is in MPH or am I wrong ?
3. If for some reason I have to sell the bike would the fact it being a Grey Import put potential buyers of, even though I am guessing it is to the UK spec and has a UK V5 registration document. I know I bought it but I fell in love with the bike and was a bit niaeve to grey imports ?

Just after your opinions on this matter and if there are any other owners of grey imports out there that can put my mind at ease I would appreciate your comments.

Thanks for reading
Nick