F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

gas indicator

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 08:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gas indicator

hello everyone
New proud owner of 2002 cbr600f4i---i love it

I got the bike about 3 weeks ago with 6400 miles. I checked everything and this gas level indicator puzzels me. I read in the manual to check it certain way and I havent yet.

the problem, when I put the key everything lights up so is the gas level on the left side of the screen, and after that nothing, i filled up the gas tank, nothing.

let me know I can live without it but I am very **** about everything working well.

I looked around so dont get mad about my questions couldnt find it

Old 12-28-2007, 08:35 AM
Default RE: gas indicator

hello and welcome! The f4i Doesnt really have a fuel level indicator. The lights you see at start up is the reserve level. So until you hit the reserve part of your tank( Probally around 130 miles) Then the light will come on and will eventually go down. And after you fill up it will take a few mins to go off. Your bike is working perfectly fine! nothing to worry about

Old 12-28-2007, 09:05 AM

cool it stranfe though, why when i put the key in in the screen it shows the level of gas in the tank and than dissapears forever, i didnt get a chance to get to the point when the reserve light-lights up.

cool just wanted to clarify it though,

its a good bike easy to handle but I cannot really judge because its my first, but it puts a smile on my face.

thank you

Old 12-28-2007, 10:41 AM
Banned

why when i put the key in in the screen it shows the level of gas in the tank and than dissapears forever
It doesn't show tank level.

It just goes through a procedure of lighting up things, I think the tach even redlines. When you get into the reserve, you get 4 segments, a few miles later you get 3 segments etc. When there are are no segments, you are probably stranded or will be soon. When you put gas in it it takes a minute or two for the reserve indicator to go out. Just get used to zeroing out the tripometer at every fill-up and get gas before you get into the reserve. If you go 160 - 170 miles before it comes on, your reserve indicator is broken.

edit: we call it reserve, but it isn't, it is just the last gallon or so that gets indicated. Fuel injected bikes don't have reserves like gravity fed carbed bikes (I think, someone correct me if I am wrong). Whn you are empty on a FI bike you are empty.

Old 12-28-2007, 11:01 AM

It doesn't show tank level.

It just goes through a procedure of lighting up things, I think the tach even redlines.
Yes, it is called a bulb check. If it did not do this how would you know if you had a bulb out on your cluster? If you had a burt idiot light, how would you know? So like most auto and motorcycles, the bike lightsa bunch of thingsup when you turn the key on. Get it?

Old 12-31-2007, 10:57 AM

got it, I did more reaserch and also rode my bike and you are right the RES came out with four bars, its cool, thank you I know i the question was little wacky but that why you are here for to help newbies like me, you were there once, right

happy new year

thank you again

Old 01-01-2008, 12:38 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When the sensor indicates no fuel, it will flash all bars. I rode in this condition for quite a while and THEN checked the tank to find a lot at the bottom of the tank. I really have no idea of the true range of a tank. I usually get about 110-120 miles before my full "reserve" bars show, and then I refill.