F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Fuel Injection issues

Old 09-02-2007, 07:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Injection issues

Must have posted in the wrong forum......here I go again.....

Hi to All,

This is my first post here, should be getting my 2001 F4i tomorrow with 12K kms.Just before I part with my hard earned cash, a little bird toldme this morning that the bike I'm seeing has a problem with the fuel injection. Basically the current owner messed up somethingwith FI and is getting 70miles to a tank full. I haven't seen any Power Commanders under the seat, so is there any possibility that the he screwed up something else? Could he have messed up the standard FI module, throttle bodies etc? Any help would be highly appreciated as I never owned a FI bike before. The bike has a Scorpion end can fitted and the only thing I notice strange was a little heavy carbon deposit at the opening the can. Should I start running or is this bird on medication? Apologies for writing at such length.

Old 09-02-2007, 11:59 AM
Default RE: Fuel Injection issues

He could've swapped injectors for larger ones, not replaced a sensor, etc etc. Did you.. ask him? lol

Old 09-03-2007, 02:19 AM

He said that he didn't touch anything. Bike seems to have got thirsty after putting on the end-can, unfortunatelythe stupid fellow sold the original can and now he can't refit it to make a comparison. Is it possible that the bike runs rich without any behaving badly on the road? I already took it for a test drive and can swear that it runs superbly. The only sign there is of rich fuel is a heavy carbon deposit in the exhaust, ohand the little bird! Any other ideas?

Old 09-03-2007, 11:22 AM

If it's really getting 70 mi per tank i'd stay away. Some carbon on the can is expected, but if it's really as bad as all that i'd just pass it over and keep looking. Those kinda of headaches can make bike ownership an expensive pain real quick. Me, i'd rather be riding one that doesn't look as good but is mechanically sound.

Old 09-05-2007, 04:39 AM
Default RE: Fuel Injection issues - Update

Took the bike for a Dyno test and resulted in a slightly rich Stoich mixture value of 11.9. The tester claims that this is close torange and problemcould be down to three things:

1) Dirty Air Filter (it hasn't been replaced yet and it is actually quite dusty around here)
2) Dirty injectors
3) Pressure Regulator leak

He says that the above air/fuel ratio can result in up to 20% loss of mileage fuelwise. Otherwise, it gave usa100.4 ponies straight graph, torque of 45 lb/ft(can't remember the exact figure).In any case, he says the problem can be solvedeasily and with little money. What do you guys think? I'm thinking of just slapping on a K&N.