F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Front Brake Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 06:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Brake Problem

Guys

I bought my 2002 CBR600 F4i 10 months ago and I have been noticing that the front brakes doesnt work like the suppose to.
It is braking like very jerky and not smooth as it is supposed.

let me try to describe:
when you push the lever while cruising it will start braking, then it feels like not adding pressure, and as you continue to push the brake lever, you feel like if the base of the lever needs oiling or something.. like not moving smoothly, but unconstant.

I noticed that the lever was kind of twisted, like if the previous owned felt, and he did twisted back the lever just to fix it.
I thought that would be the problem, because the lever was not in perfect conditions. I proceeded to buy a new one and installed it.

The problem is still there.

Could it be the oil? Or it should be related to the whole Master Cylinder?

I did replaced the brake pads too. no luck.

Alex

Old 04-10-2007, 08:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Front Brake Problem

does it feel like it's catching then releasing then catching and releasing?

your rotors may be warped.

Old 04-10-2007, 08:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm having a hard time understanding the problem perfectly so here're a few questions:

If the lever is at fault:
1.When you're at a stop, does the lever depress easily? i.e. can you push the lever in an inch or so when it feels like you cant push any more? Is this movement smooth?

If the brake fluid is at fault:
2.Does the lever feel squishy? Is the brake oil level in the master cylinder window over your right handlebar full? Does it change when you push the lever?

3.Does the problem you have only happen when the bike is moving? i.e. when you are trying to slow down do you feel a pulsing in the brake lever?

4.Do you not feel a pulsing in the lever (in your clenched hand) but the bike starts 'bouncing' on the front shock when you try to slow down?

If 2/3 is what you feel, it might be that the brake fluid needs changing, also check your brake fluid lines for damage/leak.
If 4 is the problem, it might be either a bent/warped rotor (the disk of the brake), a bent rim on your front tire (you should feel vibration even when not braking) or a cupped front tire (if the tires are old/ very worn/the bike was in storage for a long time)

If you're more specific then that would help.

Old 04-10-2007, 08:32 PM

i would probally bleed the brake lines and if that does not help then check thebrake callipursif it was your rotor you would see it wobble when you ride

Old 04-11-2007, 10:43 AM

it doesnt do the catching,releasing thing

its like you depress the lever and it would start braking but not as it is supposed, (its kind of hard to depress) and when you depress it even further it will suddenly start braking fast and the lever would go down. it feels like its getting stuck, or making contact with something and then, releasing.