F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

FMVSS plate

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 07:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FMVSS plate

I've moved to New Zealand and my '03 F4i is about6 days away from landing in port. Apparently I didn't do all my homework and the local compliance officers are telling me that my bike must have a FMVSS plate declaring that the bike was manufactured to meet all US safety requirements, otherwise I will need to obtain a statement of compliance from the manufacturer. They have no way of looking it up so they tell me I'll have to wait until it arrives and we can physically see it. The process of getting the statement of compliance can take two weeks and several hundred dollars. Is there anyoneback there in the states who can look on their 2003 CBR 600 F4i and tell me if the bike has the metal plate declaring this absurdly pointless statement. I think I remember seeing it on the frame but cannot remember for sure. It would save me some sleep if I know it is and it will save me some time if I know it's not.

Thanks,
John

P.S. Does anyone know if CBRs made forUS marketshave any different specs (namely horsepower) than those madefor Japan? I have to sell my bike soon after I get it here because I took a job back in the states and wanted to know if there were any added selling points to this F4i. All the ones they get down here are made for Japan.

Old 03-07-2007, 07:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: FMVSS plate

Japanese bikes are restriced on horsepower, I think for a 600cc bike the restriction is 40 hp. for a 1000cc its 93 hp. Not even the japanese ride japanese spec. bikes. So that should be a plus in NZ. About the plate i have an 01, do you think it would be in the same general area? If it is ill take a peek when i get home.