F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Flush mount turn signals= fuses blowing.

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 04:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flush mount turn signals= fuses blowing.

Hi everyone, i'm new to the forum. I have an 02 F4i that I just installed front flush mount signals on. after I connected the wiring I made sure to test the signals and everything was fine. After putting the headlight pod back on I turned the key to "on" only to discover I have no dash display or tachometer. The clock is still showing but that's it. Has anyone else encountered this or heard of it? The fuse keeps blowing for the display, but everything else still works, the fuel pump, the headlights and signals and brake light all still function. hopefully someone has some insight.

Thanks!

Old 05-09-2009, 04:29 PM
July 2008 ROTM

There's a short on the wiring for that fuse somewhere. Look around.

Old 05-09-2009, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Aken
There's a short on the wiring for that fuse somewhere. Look around.

Thanks Aken, I know when I hooked up the wires I had to cut the harness off the factory lights and splice the new lights right to the wires on the bike. The flush mounts have 2 wires and the factory lights had a 3rd green wire which I was told had to be joined onto the negative wire on the new system. Might that have something to do with it? or do you think it's a pinched/sliced wire somewhere?

Old 05-09-2009, 06:11 PM
July 2008 ROTM

Green on the factory harness is ground. You could've wired something weird, or there's a pinched wire, or there's a ground touching a positive. There's a lot of things that can cause a fuse to blow, what exactly it is in your situation I have no idea.

Old 05-09-2009, 08:44 PM

I went through a similar issue last week, went I installed the HotBodies Racing flushmount. After installing them, I blew the 10A fuse that feeds the turn signals and the dash display (don't remeber about the tach).

After testing, and testing, and testing...

It turns out that one of the flushmount signal was bad (which I am currently waiting on its replacement from hotbodies racing)

Old 05-10-2009, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by knonfs
I went through a similar issue last week, went I installed the HotBodies Racing flushmount. After installing them, I blew the 10A fuse that feeds the turn signals and the dash display (don't remeber about the tach).

After testing, and testing, and testing...

It turns out that one of the flushmount signal was bad (which I am currently waiting on its replacement from hotbodies racing)

Well it's funny because it's not the 10amp for the actual turn signals that's blowing. it's the one the controls the dash and tachometer. I still have turn signals, and even the lights on the dash to let you know your signals are on. You were saying you actually had to get another Hotbodies light to replace one. Is that because the light is blowing the fuse, or is it not working and blowing the fuse too?

Old 05-10-2009, 10:49 AM

i had the same issue with the hotbodies flush mounts. Hotbodies did a pretty poor job assembling these.
If you peel away the glue at the flush mount, you find the positive and negative leads can touch each other if you twist the wires too much. Hotbodies left too much wire exposed. i ended up just pulling all the glue away, and running some insulation covering up the exposed wires and reapplying hot glue.