F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Flush mount install question

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 09:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flush mount install question

I searched and couldn't find the answer to this question. I think it is such a basic question that most people know the answer...but I don't. I want to put on new flush mount signals and I was wondering what do I have to take off the bike to get to the signals. Can I just take off the black plastic piece that hugs the front sides of the tank to gain access to the back of the signals? Do I have to take the lower fairing off? Or do I have to take the entire upper fairing off?

BTW I have never tore into my bike, so this is all new territory for me.

Thanks for any help.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:50 AM

take off the front fairing if i remember its 12 bolts theat hold it up.

Old 05-21-2009, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Uniqsol
I searched and couldn't find the answer to this question. I think it is such a basic question that most people know the answer...but I don't. I want to put on new flush mount signals and I was wondering what do I have to take off the bike to get to the signals. Can I just take off the black plastic piece that hugs the front sides of the tank to gain access to the back of the signals? Do I have to take the lower fairing off? Or do I have to take the entire upper fairing off?

BTW I have never tore into my bike, so this is all new territory for me.

Thanks for any help.
Well I'm pretty new to this, but I put mine on this weekend, I took the plastics off both sides and the bottom. I think that you could do it with just those off if your pretty skilled with your hands. However, having done it now, I wouldn't recommend it. Once the sides are off, then you can remove the front cowl. Once you get it off, its very easy to work with it. There is a plug for the up-front electronics that you will have to unplug once you get the entire front cowl loosened. Good luck!

I'll be curious if you have any issues getting the front cowl back on. Mine is back on, but I can't get the sides of it to "Snap" back in. You'll see what I'm talking about once you get it apart.

Cloots

Old 05-22-2009, 03:24 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok. Easiest way. Take the black piece in your wheel well off. Then, Take off your side fairings, and plastic beside the tank. On one side I actually unscrewed me ram air vent. Not necessary, made it marginally easier to get at. And didn't even bother screwing it back in. (no change being in or not whatsoever, I'm picky like that).

Once the fairings are off, all you do is force your hand and a wrench up the side, and loosen the nut, once you can get it with your fingers it's cake. You loosen it, take the light out, cut the wires, splice the new one AFTER you put the screw adapter thing back on, you'll know what I'm talking about when you're there.

Then slide your fingers up in and retighten the nut, going all in reverse. Took me about 40 minutes for the whole job.

Old 05-22-2009, 03:36 AM

since i didnt wanna save my old stalk blinkers, i just cut em off which allowed me to gain access to the wiring. wire in new blinkers, stuff excess wiring into hole, stick on blinkers. boom done, no fairings off. but like i said didnt wanna save the old ones. thats how i did it

Old 05-22-2009, 08:44 AM

hmmmm...I may try to tackle this this weekend. It is suppose to be rainy and ****ty out anyway.

Old 05-22-2009, 12:29 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Question

• Remove side fairings
  • Unplug/disconnect factory signals
  • Unbolt & remove fact signals
  • Install (bolt up) new flush mount signals
  • Connect wiring using IndyLeads (allows plug-&-play w/ factory plug connections...no mess). If no IndyLeads available, use quick-disconnect connectors...makes it easier if you ever have to replace them.
  • Test function of signals
  • Cable-tie wiring bundle & neatly tuck back behind new signals
  • Reinstall side fairings
  • DONE

Old 05-22-2009, 10:18 PM

Just put them on today. I took the fairings and wheel well liner out. Looks really good...I am happy with the results. Now I am just waiting for my rear seat cover....