F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

F4i won't start, no fuel pump, 12 mph on the speedo?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 02:50 PM
Registered Users
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F4i won't start, no fuel pump, 12 mph on the speedo?

Hey guys,
So I will have more information in a few days, but my bike is on one side of the country on it's way over, and I'm on the other side waiting for her. Last time I was home, battery had gone flat and I didn't have a charger so I jumped the bike, started up, all was good with the world. Was going to go for a ride but wanted to check tire pressures before riding, rear looked a little soft. Let it idle for a while hoping the battery would start it when I returned, turned it off and went to grab a gauge and compressor. No dice, so I went to jump it again (off a car, I have since read posts advising against this, live and learn I suppose), and the bike wouldn't start, cranks but won't fire, when you turn the key to the on position the fuel pump won't prime. The strange thing is, when you turn the red switch on the handlebar to "run", the digital speedo reads 12 mph, when it's off, the speedo reads 0. Fuel pump never primes, just the speedo changes.

In a couple days I can start laying into the bike, but I want to have some good ideas to look into when it arrives. Things I have to check are...

Kickstand switch
Kill switch
BAS
Fuses
fuel pump (is it still good)

The thing that worries me is the pesky 12 mph deal when fuel pump is primed. Makes me think something somewhere is fried/not quite right.

Anything else I should be looking into? Any ideas what would cause the speedo issue, and what I may need to replace, or how I can test parts?

Thanks in advance for the help, looking forward to having a running bike again!

Old 10-04-2012, 11:33 PM
Registered Users

Update.

Bike got here. Things checked so far...

Fuses all good.
ECM/ECU is good.
Fuel cut-off relay and engine stop relay both good.

Also, the speedo reads 14 mph when the FI is on, not 12 mph.

I'm thinking it may be worth double checking that the fuel pump is getting power. I had assumed it would be in the electrical, but the pump itself may have crapped out.

Anyone have any other ideas as to where to look? Things I may be missing? Someone has to have some idea?

Old 10-05-2012, 05:31 PM

My bike is doing the same exact thing ,im hoping a batttery will fix it.

Old 10-06-2012, 12:06 PM
Registered Users

Check the connection to your fuel pump. (and all other connections/relays etc). Not sure what fixed mine, but after checking to see if I was getting power to the pump (thought I had checked the day before and I wasn't), checked yesterday over lunch and there was power in the plug heading to the fuel pump, plugged it back in and it made a really horrible sounding prime/gurgling, but it primed. Turned it off/on to prime a few more times and it started sounding better, and she's been running great the last day. The 14 mph thing on the gauge worried me, but maybe that's a symptom of a bad connection at the fuel pump? Give it a shot, hopefully it will help!

Old 10-07-2012, 07:21 AM

I will try ,but I need a battery for sure it flatlined on me.

Old 10-07-2012, 09:56 PM

Did you try the BAS, its an easy bypas.

If the Fuel pump is not working and there is no spark on the plugs then try to bypas the BAS. The far end holes on the wide plug, jump them and try and start it.

S